addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only thing the same about ponds is it is a structure filled with water. How you build it can be close but never the same as others. I have a skimmer at the far end of the pond from the pump. Now it mainly just helps circulate the water. When the lilies fill in the pond there is really nothing to skim. The leaves cover the surface

Bottom drain, none, used to try and clean the bottom of the pond, never got enough stuff to make it worth it. I would maybe pull up 1/3 of a 5 gallon bucket out of the entire pond. So quit doing that.

I am a casual / lazy ponder. It runs itself, no need to even feed the fish if I don't want to.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Good luck to you @KeithG - and THANK YOU for actually taking the time to read and respond to comments. You have no idea how often people post a question, get lots of helpful answers, and then... nothing. Maybe they are overwhelmed with information, maybe they read and aren't happy with what they hear, maybe they just drifted off to another project... who knows. I answer questions hoping to help the original poster, but also to help anyone who may come to the forum in the future with similar questions. But honestly it is refreshing when we get a little feedback from the OP!

I won't say "there's no wrong way to build a pond" because there certainly is, and we've seen lots of them here! But once you understand what you're trying to accomplish, it's up to you to decide what elements best fit your budget, your expertise, your layout, your space, etc. Knowing there are options makes this a much more personalized project, but it does require you to think through where you hope to end up!

Take lots of pictures and share with us - we love to see other people working!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 WHAT WAS the name of the guy who had the pond built this past fall. It's landscape time and he's disappeared. I bet he's thinking the algea means there's something wrong and he's just not posting .
He had the stacked slate in the bottom of his pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good luck to you @KeithG - and THANK YOU for actually taking the time to read and respond to comments. You have no idea how often people post a question, get lots of helpful answers, and then... nothing. Maybe they are overwhelmed with information, maybe they read and aren't happy with what they hear, maybe they just drifted off to another project... who knows. I answer questions hoping to help the original poster, but also to help anyone who may come to the forum in the future with similar questions. But honestly it is refreshing when we get a little feedback from the OP!

I won't say "there's no wrong way to build a pond" because there certainly is, and we've seen lots of them here! But once you understand what you're trying to accomplish, it's up to you to decide what elements best fit your budget, your expertise, your layout, your space, etc. Knowing there are options makes this a much more personalized project, but it does require you to think through where you hope to end up!

Take lots of pictures and share with us - we love to see other people working!

Thanks Lisak1

I couldn't imagine not replying. You take the time to read my post and give advice from your experience and Everyone should have the decency to at least reply with a thank you.

I'm now thinking to leave the bottom drain out and just go with the skimmer, pump and filter that I already have.

I'm hoping to start the digging in 2 or 3 weeks time and will be sure to post pics.

This forum is fab. I've posted on other forums and get a list of expensive items to use and ignoring that I had informed what I had and simply asked would it work and if not how would/could it work. So, thank you for being so helpful and advising in line with my questions.

Keith

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Me my wife calls me Putz
I have the matrix bog
The peastone bog
Stream
Upper pond planted
Waterfalls
6 foot deep pond
Main drain
Skimmer
Negative edge
Cistern.
Check valves
Ball valves
Unions
Multiple pumps
Rocks and boulders
Epdm

Love the main drain for waste collection. But it also has sucked in cold or numb fish. If to big they have also gotten stuck to the drain even with two drains.

Skimmer is a helix they are great fish can swim right in to the floating wear and swim right out but if your water level fluctuates it's maintenance to keep up on.

Negative edge is great but I recently added goldfish comments and they just aren't to bright as they keep going over the falls to sh_t's creek " the last chance a small pool last chance for me to find them before the go over the final falls of heels gate and then I tried all over.
So as said above it's all in what works with your setup and your management. I travel alot and I have to rely on things taking care of them selves.
Putz

Hi GBBUDD

Thank you for your reply, it's really helpful, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Keith

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
well, especially if time and money are a consideration, bog filtration certanly will help you. I echo all the above; I have no bottom drain, no UV, no skimmer, no filtration other than the bog, and am currently going on 125+ fish. Plants, and lots of them, combined with your bog filtration will take care of water quality. The waterfall will give you aeration (as well as from any bog overflow) and the largest investment should be your liner.

Good luck!

Hi Brokensword

Thank you for taking the time to reply, your points are greatly appreciated.

I love the idea of a bog and think I will do one, in a year or so, once I have gained some experience and knowledge.

Once I have the pond dug and a concise idea of how high the waterfall will be (at the moment I'm working towards 4ft to 6ft, but as I'll be using some of the earth from the hole I think it best to wait and measure to be sure and then order the liner. I'm leaning towards Epalyn as have read it's easy to form a waterfall and to fit on the front of the skimmer (I'm sticking with the skimmer as I have a number of trees around my garden and it'd be a nightmare in the autumn trying to keep the pond clear of them with a net.)

Once again, thank you for your reply

Keith

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm definitely in the minority here and have a bottom drain in my pond. It keeps the bottom of the pond clean of fish waste and debris with no effort on my part.

I also have a skimmer to keep the surface clear of leaves.

I scoop out leaves with a skimmer net and cover the pond with a net when leaves are falling heavily. Any that manage to get past me and sink to the bottom I either net out if I see them, or they go through the bottom drain to the leaf basket attached to the front of the pump. There is no prefilter or sieve and there has never been a threat of a clog. The leaf basket is emptied when necessary which can be anywhere from once a week to months.

Obviously there are different opinions and everyone has their own preferences. As long as your method works for you and your pond, there is no right or wrong way.

Hi WaterGardener

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

From your experience does the diagram I have posted make sense? If you don't mind me asking, how does it differ from your set up?

I look forward to your reply, if/when you have the time.

Keith

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your system design looks good . The only questions are where are water table heights compared to fitting g and pumps.
Screenshot_20210411-103652_Chrome.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Brokensword

Thank you for taking the time to reply, your points are greatly appreciated.

I love the idea of a bog and think I will do one, in a year or so, once I have gained some experience and knowledge.

Once I have the pond dug and a concise idea of how high the waterfall will be (at the moment I'm working towards 4ft to 6ft, but as I'll be using some of the earth from the hole I think it best to wait and measure to be sure and then order the liner. I'm leaning towards Epalyn as have read it's easy to form a waterfall and to fit on the front of the skimmer (I'm sticking with the skimmer as I have a number of trees around my garden and it'd be a nightmare in the autumn trying to keep the pond clear of them with a net.)

Once again, thank you for your reply

Keith
It's all good! Only one further note, maybe you'll consider it a nudge, but from re-reading your posts, IF you're going to dig this year, consider digging the bog portion at the same time (maybe you're renting equip, have help?) just so you don't have to disrupt the pond next year from all you're going to do THIS year! Unless you're thinking of an all-above-ground bog, then it won't matter that much.

When I expanded, I knew I was going to enlargen my bog too and wanted only the one liner for all, which helps keep wicking and leaking issues to a minimum. So there, that's the nudge! Otherwise, not trying to force a bog on you!

Good luck!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your system design looks good . The only questions are where are water table heights compared to fitting g and pumps.View attachment 137798
Wow, thanks for that GBBUDD

I was going to use rubber connections in and out of the pump and the filter would that be ok or would I need nutted unions?

From having laid a water supply pipe to the front of my house a couple of years ago (5ft deep) I didn't hit the water table, so I'm assuming I will be ok at the back of the house. The pond will be 4ft deep and pump likely to be 2 1/2 to 3ft does that sound ok?

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide the diagram, it's really helpful and very kind of you

Keith

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's all good! Only one further note, maybe you'll consider it a nudge, but from re-reading your posts, IF you're going to dig this year, consider digging the bog portion at the same time (maybe you're renting equip, have help?) just so you don't have to disrupt the pond next year from all you're going to do THIS year! Unless you're thinking of an all-above-ground bog, then it won't matter that much.

When I expanded, I knew I was going to enlargen my bog too and wanted only the one liner for all, which helps keep wicking and leaking issues to a minimum. So there, that's the nudge! Otherwise, not trying to force a bog on you!

Good luck!
Thanks brokensword. Ah, hadn't thought of that. I'll do some reading up on bogs over the coming weeks. From the pics I've seen they look fab.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and share your knwoledge.

Keith

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome! Agree, way more complicated than it has to be.

Hi TurtleMommy

Thank you, it's a great forum, really helpful, friendly and not stuck up (unlike some forums).

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I'm rapidly increasing my knowledge.

Keith

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichV

Latest Threads