Would this work?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I use the fernco couplings also, left out in the sun, left out in the winter and they still are doing great. No fear in using.
Ok, that's encouraging that two of you now confirm that they are quite durable.
I'm especially impressed that mrsclem has used 90 degree Ferncos. You would think there would be a great amount of pressure imposed on a 90.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm especially impressed that mrsclem has used 90 degree Ferncos. You would think there would be a great amount of pressure imposed on a 90.
Never expected it to last this long! it is nowhere near as thick as the regular ones.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Idk...I would stick to the standard EPDM or HDRPE when it comes to the very basic element of your pond.
Considering what it would take if you had to replace it, I wouldn't take that chance.
Ok thanks, I'll look into EPDM and HDRPE

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What I like about the HDRPE it never gets a slick as EPDM which is like walking on ice. My ppl36 you can easily walk in the pond without slipping.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
the thing about the Ferncos that worried me wasn't the rubber but rather, the fact it's hose clamped only to ususally smooth pipe. Which means I'd be worried that over time, the strap loosens enough that the water pushing through pulls the rubber off and then instant leak. A major one at that. So, if I have a choice of rubber bolted to smooth pipe and threads, the threads win out. And I've seen vibration loosen stuff with threads but I doubt water would be that devious (in that way!).

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Been using not only Fernco fittings but the same hose clamps they use on them for 30 years and I can honestly say I have never had one come loose. I have had the adjustment screw rust out but the actual clamp has held.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Have used fernco fittings as well for years without issue, Usually use them in areas where they connection is inside the liner, but have never had an issue with them leaking. Most materials clamped together end up gauding Together if they arent moved, have had to take some of these apart after 10 years and the Connection didn’t come apart easily.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
the thing about the Ferncos that worried me wasn't the rubber but rather, the fact it's hose clamped only to ususally smooth pipe. Which means I'd be worried that over time, the strap loosens enough that the water pushing through pulls the rubber off and then instant leak. A major one at that. So, if I have a choice of rubber bolted to smooth pipe and threads, the threads win out. And I've seen vibration loosen stuff with threads but I doubt water would be that devious (in that way!).
Good points.

I'm not too worried because my only Fernco is at the change-over between the flex PVC and ridgid and it's within the bog. Any burst will just splash over the top of the gravel.

But nervous me, I already bought a pvc (slip, glue joint) union to replace it.

And you're right about the force that water exits an open pipe.
My pump is 3600+ GPH and when I open one of my 2" clean-out stacks and turn the pump back on it shoots out with a surprising amount of force.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fernwood no Doubleday have there place. I have never seen a failed rubber but I have had multiple hose clamps fail.. I'd be willing to bet its also over tightening that's the root cause.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Idk...I would stick to the standard EPDM or HDRPE when it comes to the very basic element of your pond.
Considering what it would take if you had to replace it, I wouldn't take that chance.

I’d never heard of epalyn before, so did a little research. Looks like it’s very similar to EPDM, but with less butyl polymers. Seems to be popular in the UK (most of the sites that discuss it are UK based). 1mm = 40 mils, so it’s a little bit thinner than your standard epdm.

One site said it actually outperforms epdm on 6/10 specification factors.

Just thought that was interesting enough to share. Perhaps it can be one more tool in the tool box, though I’ve never seen it for sale on US sites.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What I like about the HDRPE it never gets a slick as EPDM which is like walking on ice. My ppl36 you can easily walk in the pond without slipping.
Hi addy1

is HDRPE very flexible? I’ve been told (no personal experience) it’s quite stiff and difficult to position into features, is that something you have found?

regards

Keith

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi addy1

is HDRPE very flexible? I’ve been told (no personal experience) it’s quite stiff and difficult to position into features, is that something you have found?

regards

Keith
I got my liner from Bend Tarp and liner in oregon. Back when I got it the liner was called ppl36. I was told no need for any underlayment, but I did it anyway, we are rocks with a bit of dirt.

It is one huge liner that is my bog and pond. We installed it on a nice hot summer day, with the warmth it was easy to lay out. Flexible enough I could do bends, cover a small shelf. The corners were not that bad, but there are wrinkles here and there over time they just look like normal bumps in land.

it is stiff, but I would never go back to epdm, for a big pond, I do have some epdm in my small deck pond, that stuff is so slick and tears easier than my big pond liner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
that stuff is so slick

EPDM is indeed slippery, but over time mine has gotten less so as the carpet algae covers it. When you feel it now, it feels like underlayment. We have a few scraps of underlay under some larger boulders and you literally can't tell the difference anymore.

Can't argue about the durability though - EPDM is great, but @addy1 's liner has survived deer hooves, which would likely spell doom for EPDM.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi addy1

regards

Keith

I'm working w/ HDRPE right now on my pond in progress. It is a lot stiffer than epdm, but it is also a lot tougher. That said, I'm not at all unhappy with the stiffness.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snowy

Latest Threads