Would this work ?

Reaction score
Hi all

Wondering if this would work . If I drained pond , lifted one side of liner up and removed another 12-18 inches of soil, deepening pond , Laid down the old liner again and laid another large section of new liner down over that again , would the down force weight / pressure of the water keep the two liners watertight ?

Just a thought is all , trying to see what is possible without relining the entire pond again. Feedback and mocking welcome :)

See pic attached.

Attachments

• pond_liner.png
    pond_liner.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 226
Reaction score
My guess would be this would drain so fast your head would spin. The first drop of water to hit that lip would go straight under, and be gone. I don't think this would even sort of work with a slow leak, it would just flat out empty itself.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If water gets between the liners the one will float or water may wick up the one and go out over the other one .I would think if you put some kind of sealer between the 2 liners it may work not sure about that and also how long it would last

Reaction score
I saw lots of liner seam tape for sale when I was shopping for my liner. It was really thick, 6" across I think, but in the end the thought of my pond's water holding ability being held in my ability to join 2 pieces together was really terrifying and I just ponied up and bought the right size liner.

Reaction score
Hmm yeah , well i was kinda hoping the water wouldn't hit that lip because of the weight of the water pushing down on both liners . I know when I was filing my own pond with water, I was amazed at the pressure of the water against the sides of the pond when I was trying to flatten out some ridges in the liner ..it just wouldn't budge .

Reaction score
You can get seam adhesive in a gallon can and you roll it onto the 2 pieces and it will stick the pieces together and it makes a water tight connection.

Reaction score
there is lots of pressure but the water will eventually seep out to the level of the old liner... if you were doing that for a waterfall i would say that could work, but with standing water i truly believe it will seep/wick it's way out..

Reaction score
Oh I forgot to say it will leak and I wouldn't even mess with that tape stuff because it didn't work for me.

Reaction score
Yeah I figured as much . I don't know why I am obsessing over the pond depth but i am just not happy with it at its current depth.......

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used the tape and it worked, but only at shallow depths, less water pressure against the fix. Would not use it for anything under a foot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snowy

Latest Threads