Would this work?

Reaction score
I am really getting tired of cleaning the quilt batting under the water from my filter in triple digits temps. I know my filter is truly not big enough for the job I am expecting it to do. I have been changing the batting 2X/day and even that is not enough. It takes time, of course to spray the gunk and stuff off of the batting. I will hang it on the fence to dry in the sun, but turn around and it needs to be changed out of the basket again. Today we went to Rural King...sort of like Fleet Farm.. I found the picture below. I am wondering if I cut a few layers and stack them, if they would catch enough but also be easier to rinse out. The rectangle is about 24" by 30". The backside has a mesh backing. I have a picture of the label attached as well. It is used for AC and heating and states it is washable. It is synthetic and about 1/2-5/8" thick and ran $4.99. It currently smells like plastic so I am hosing it down and then airing it out a number of times b4 I attempt to use it. I do have nylon scrubbies and rectangle scrubbie pads in my filter all in 2 fabric mesh laundry bags and occasionally I also spray those down as well. What do you think? I hope to research a bit closer the manufacurer and possibly call them on Monday to see if they can tell me just what the stuff is made of and if there would be any issues w using it as a final filter in a goldfish pond. TIA in advance.

:goldfish:

Attachments

• DSCF5598.JPG
    DSCF5598.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCF5599.JPG
    DSCF5599.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 264
  • DSCF5600.JPG
    DSCF5600.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 206
Reaction score
This looks exactly like the stuff I use in my inpond filters but mine says it's all natural. It does a great job as a prefilter and bio filter material. My stuff isn't that easy to rinse out, there's a lot of stuff in the middle I just can't get to. It does wear out pretty fast as well, it compresses and gets clogged faster the next time, but my pond is totally free of anything larger than plankton algae. I haven't cleaned them out since Tuesday and we're doing triple digits here in Indiana too. Of course I can see my waterfall losing steam every day, so I know they are caked up with sticks and leaves and larger types of algae, but I've been focused on some other things. I'll probably try to do one of the filters tomorrow, and then the other one in a couple of days. It's nicer to do them on different days so it's not 30 full minutes of spraying. 15 minutes I can handle.

Anyway, I like the filters, would be nice if they held up a little better to the water and pressure and not get compressed, but they're really good overall.

Reaction score
Buckry, did yours have a strange smell to it? If so, did it fade after awhile? Of natural, what was it made out of? I am thinking of stacking a number of them in a wash basket. I think they would be easier to spray off w a hose.

:goldfish:

Reaction score
No, mine don't have any smell at all. I don't know what the natural fiber is for sure, but I do know there are random bits that are way larger, and most of those bits look like chunks of wood, so my theory is the filter is some sort of wood fiber, long thin sawdust or something. Since these start out fairly coarse I'm only using 1 layer on the very top of my filter bucket. Under that is another air filter I found that does a really great job with the next smaller algae and also bio. Then the final layer is a really fine synthetic fiber filter. I rinse the outer layer a lot, the middle layer just a little, and the last layer never gets rinsed to perserve the bacteria.

I actually get mine at Rural King half the time, I've never noticed a synthetic version, I think I'd like to try that, might be able to squeeze an extra month out of it. I get the exact same filter in green at Walmart as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissabloomsnbubbles

Latest Threads