Would you stock your pond with these fish?

Reaction score
Hi
I started up a new pond about 4 weeks ago. It was a take down pond from a neighbor. It was stocked with 14 nice healthy Koi. I had a local koi/pond dealer take in the fish to keep for me untill my pond was ready. He took them in no questions asked and dumped them into a pond with several other koi. Since then he has taken in others from owners that did not want them anymore and dumped them in the pond also. My question is do you think these fish would be good to take back or should I not chance. I have started the pond with 10 really nice healthy fish from blueridge hatcherys that are doing well.
Thanks John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd say it depends. (typical consultant answer!).

Are any of the Koi really cool?
Do you have an ethical issue with the neighbor? I.e. promising a home to his koi in exchange for the pond equipment?
What are your personal goals for the pond? i.e. do you want high end Koi? Or not really care one way or the other?
Are there any obvious issues with the Koi at the store?
Do you have a quarantine tank/pond available?

As long as you don't see anything obviously wrong and you can quarantine a few at a time I wouldn't see any problem taking a few back at a time. You can even maybe give them some preventative treatments like a high concentration (2.0-2.5%) salt bath for 2-5 minutes depending on the Koi's tolerance. There are other treatments you can apply to them as well before putting them into quarantine.

Basically the procedure is nothing different than what you should be doing when buying a new fish from any fish dealer.

Craig

Reaction score
It's the same deal wherever fish come from. There's no such thing as a "good" or "bad" source imo. If you value your current fish to warrant doing a proper quarantine then you should.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It's the same deal wherever fish come from. There's no such thing as a "good" or "bad" source imo. If you value your current fish to warrant doing a proper quarantine then you should.
I 100% agree! Even the best can and do allow for some exchange of bacteria, and parasites. QT is the best way to help avoid problems.

Reaction score
Im also going to chime in on the side of QT... Most of the times things go well, and there are no issues... then comes that day when you learn the importance of QT... THE HARD WAY...

Ask a Question