Wounded Fantail goldie

Reaction score
I found one of my fantail goldies caught in the skimmer & it got pretty scrapped up, both sides. I took her|it out of the pond & put her|it in solitary. She is swimming but now I don't know what to do...the wounds seem bad. If it were possible I'd put a bandaid on the wounds....the other side is not as bad as the pic showes here. Any advise would be greatly appreciated..

Attachments

• 100_1229.JPG
    100_1229.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 383

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Ah that sucks... hope it pulls through. I had one jump out of the tub when i moved them downstairs for the winter, and i dint notice it until quite a while later, and then he got all scraped up while i was trying to get him out from between the wall and the tub, he did survive though.

as far as what to do.. i can't help you there, i didnt do anything for mine as he was just a feeder goldie, but he made it anyway.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Isn't salt supposed to be good for healing? Hope somebody can help you w/ your fish soon before infection sets in.

Reaction score
I did add salt to the pond water when I put Pig in isolation. I recall reading that {maybe on this forum?} also, that iodine could be applied to the scrapped area ......I'm going to try the iodine when I get home. Some here see it as weird .......Doctoring a gold fish?????

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I read some about the iodine and they said if you put it on you should let it dry a bit before putting the fish back in the water or it just washes off. They said fish can stay out of water for about 20mins. Somebody suggested using a hair dryer on low to hurry up the drying process. And then they said put on some kind of antibiotic stuff. Let me see if I can find it again. Here it is:
http://www.texaskoi.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=53&Itemid=58

Reaction score
:surprised: JW,thanks for the link. The info helped me decide what to do. I used macuracrome.. I know that word is missplled...could't find real iodine. Coated the wound & just dryed it by blowing.... just like you did when you treated your kids cuts & scrapes..although Pig didn't fuss like my kids did. Anyway, she seems to be healing. ;) I just needed to be pointed in the right direction. Here is the up dated pictures.

Attachments

• 100_1235.JPG
    100_1235.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 391
  • 100_1236.JPG
    100_1236.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 385

Ask a Question