addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Last september we put in 4 little (.13 cents feeders) and two shubunkins. I saw a shubunkin and one feeder right before the pond started freezing. Sort of figured all the others had died and these two most likely would not make it. They were so small.

We had over 8 inches of ice on the pond, edge to edge frozen solid.
No air pump, no filter, no movement, acidic water (5ish) Leaves missed during the fall drop rotting on the bottom. The ice has been there for almost 4 months.

The ice melted.

Today the sun was out I was pruning the bog plants...............

There are four goldies and one shubunkin swimming around.

Those suckers are tough!

I am going to raise the ph, but going to do it slowly. And finally get our pumps running.
Those little fish will be in heaven

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thats great addy and maybe the other little shubbie was just hiding somewhere. That's why I stick to the goldies and not the Koi. If I lose some I don't lose much money, although I would miss the little buggers :lol:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They sure surprised me jw........ never thought they could survive the freeze. We saw five swimming together. The water is too murky to see in the deep end, (5feet) so one more might be hiding.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh my if your pond is 5ft deep who knows what could be lurking around down there? That's good tho cuz when it gets either real cold or real hot the fish have a nice place to hunker down into and also hide from the predators and even you when you want to find them :lol:. Mine's about 3&1/2 to 4ft deep but we never get too cold or too hot for very long here :lol:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Congrats Addy- Glad to hear your little guys made it thru the winter. Hasn't been as bad here in southern Md. but do have one 2 year old fish that was at the surface last week and had red fins & tail. Brought her in, treated with salt & antibiotics & she sheould be able to go back out thiis week. We did lose 3 fry (2 1/2") from last fall. I don't think they were old enough to survive the winter.

Ask a Question