Wow no ice and it is Jan 12th

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This is the first year I have been ice free on Jan 12th. I had ice but the last couple of days melted it. So the main pump is still up and running. Looks like I am good for the next 10 days by the forecast. I little cold over the weekend. Looks like I my be up and running til February Birds are loving it. Fish look very good.

Hot off the press

pond pano.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a is probably average winter, but I've seen it -24F here once in 30 years, and -10 to -15 at times
Country
United States
Enjoy it while you can. It sure is nice to have a break from the snow and ice in January. It sometimes happens here too, but sometimes right about now can be the coldest time of the year. The last couple weeks here in northern AZ we have been getting lots of moisture with mild temps. It has been alternating between snowing and raining, and barely getting down to freezing at night. I live at 7200' elevation, but the nice thing, I can drive a couple hours and be down in the desert at 1100' elevation to thaw out if I want too.

I really like your pond and stream, and always enjoy the photos and video you post. Keep them coming, they never get old.

I have a couple of questions. What size pump are you running on the stream? What are you using for mechanical filtration? (I think I may have asked in the past, don't remember)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What size pump are you running on the stream? What are you using for mechanical filtration?
I use 1 Savio Bio Waterfall filter with 22" opening and 3 Savio versatile Bio Filters (they are used with 2 1800gph pumps, two of the filters are inline). My main pump in the stream is 4700gph with another 1800gph going into the stream also in the nice weather. I also have the large Savior Skimmer with the large weir. They all have filter pads in them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What a beautiful pond! I envy all that room around it...endless landscaping possibilities:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I use 1 Savio Bio Waterfall filter with 22" opening and 3 Savio versatile Bio Filters (they are used with 2 1800gph pumps, two of the filters are inline). My main pump in the stream is 4700gph with another 1800gph going into the stream also in the nice weather. I also have the large Savior Skimmer with the large weir. They all have filter pads in them.
I bought the Savio filter last year. Someone recommended adding a matala filter pad and I had some left over blue ( would have preferred gray ) and it worked well :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have blue pads in both waterfalls and a green pad in the skimmer box...what other pads are there and how do I know which one is best?

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Same here, we've had some cold and some snow but right now there's no ice on pond. Once we get past Valentines day here the chances of freezing go way down. Gonna make it!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ditto. Pond froze early in December because we had temps in the 20's but on January 12th the pond was ice free because we had temps in the 50's and rain. Looks like next week we will have more temps in the 50's. Yippee! Only a couple more months until Spring!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This is the first year since we built our pond that we have had repeated freezing and thawing - every other year, once the pond was under ice it stayed that way until spring. It's been fun being able to see the fish and say "hey!" every few weeks! Right now we're iced over again, but next week they are predicting high 40s and even a few days will touch 50 (WHAT? In JANUARY!?) so we'll have open water again. It's been reassuring since our pump had to be turned off a few weeks ago- less worry about what's going on under all that ice.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine has gone from total ice over, except where I have a small pump running to no ice. Can't make up its mind. We can have a miserable February. Last year a hot March, freezing April, killed off a lot of the flowering trees buds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Mine has gone from total ice over, except where I have a small pump running to no ice. Can't make up its mind. We can have a miserable February. Last year a hot March, freezing April, killed off a lot of the flowering trees buds.
So true, we still have no idea what still will be coming but I will take it while it last.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
At this time last week I think we still had a good amount of ice on the pond. There is nothing on there today. I even unplugged the de-icer this afternoon as I don't think we are going to need it at least through early next week, so that will save some electricity. One of the koi came out from their hiding spot under the stone plank and was nibbling at algae on the sides of the pond.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We had 3 days with ice! The koi are out looking for something to eat. Going to check water temps today and hope the weather doesn't bring more freezing temps. So far have been able to keep everything running except the bog and that has started growing again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, the whole world is ice today. At least my part of it. Everything looks like it's been glazed. One look out the window told me I was staying inside today. I watched my neighbor slip-slide all the way down his driveway into the street... I was impressed that he managed to stay on his feet the whole way down!

Ask a Question