Wrinkles and hiding fish

Reaction score
Well after adding my first 10 goldfish, they had dissapeared by that night. When I went to attempt to remove one of the wrinkles 9 swam out. Is there a easy way to remove wrinkles or do I need to drain the water from the wrinkled layer and adjust it then? Also I have an 18 inch deep pond and I live in zone 7.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think most smooth and straighten them out as they stand in the pond while it is filling from the beginning. The weight of the water will keep the liner in place.
I guess if they are wrinkled too badly now you should prolly fix them but I think there may be no way of getting rid of them all and they do provide a nice hiding place for the fish as you found out which can help save them from predators..........even babies from their own mom and pop :lol:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
clemsonguy1125 said:
Well after adding my first 10 goldfish, they had dissapeared by that night. When I went to attempt to remove one of the wrinkles 9 swam out. Is there a easy way to remove wrinkles or do I need to drain the water from the wrinkled layer and adjust it then? Also I have an 18 inch deep pond and I live in zone 7.

Some tape wrinkles if you can't pull them out. Single side black tape, or if the wrinkle is deep enough use double sided tape to hold the wrinkle together.

Reaction score
Myself I wouldn't worry about the wrinkles right now if your fish feel a need to hide. When they hide they are avoiding stress working with the wrinkles will cause more stress. Later when they are comfortable then work with the wrinkles. IMHO

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pondmaster said:
Myself I wouldn't worry about the wrinkles right now if your fish feel a need to hide. When they hide they are avoiding stress working with the wrinkles will cause more stress. Later when they are comfortable then work with the wrinkles. IMHO

I left wrinkles, I like the look, they end up looking rock like. Mine are not deep, but I agree with you, the fish feel safe in the wrinkles, i would leave them.

Reaction score
Mine are only on the side and they are a little deep maybe 2-3 inches. But I plan to put potted plants on the plant shelves when it warms up so that will hide them some. Also since im in zones 7 and the temps range from the 20's to 50's and the average is 40 whats the best way to keep fish happy. The ponds in the shade but Im still going to but a piece of clear plastic over it. Ill keep a hole in the ice and stop the ice from getting to thick. Will this be enough

Reaction score
clemsonguy1125 said:
Mine are only on the side and they are a little deep maybe 2-3 inches. But I plan to put potted plants on the plant shelves when it warms up so that will hide them some. Also since im in zones 7 and the temps range from the 20's to 50's and the average is 40 whats the best way to keep fish happy. The ponds in the shade but Im still going to but a piece of clear plastic over it. Ill keep a hole in the ice and stop the ice from getting to thick. Will this be enough

You'll get better response by starting a new thread on this specific question.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
clemsonguy1125 said:
ok, I guess Ill just leave it, would pool noodle pieces work for filter media.

No clue they do have texture, but you would have more surface area using that black irrigation tubing that dr dave talks about. It is cheap, just some effort put into cutting it.

Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking but on a fish forum I was told water needed to be able to pass through it, but then 90 percent of filters here dont, like irrigation tubing and poultry netting. What would you suggest be the minimum size of the filter

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
clemsonguy1125 said:
Thats what I was thinking but on a fish forum I was told water needed to be able to pass through it, but then 90 percent of filters here dont, like irrigation tubing and poultry netting. What would you suggest be the minimum size of the filter

what kind of filter do you have? are you making a doc or skippy filter, just don't recall. The water will pass though and around the tubing, beneficial bacteria grow on the inside and exterior of the tubing. From what I read everybody loves them once they get the filter set up.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
addy1 said:
No clue they do have texture, but you would have more surface area using that black irrigation tubing that dr dave talks about. It is cheap, just some effort put into cutting it.

Addy are you talking about a bio-filter when using the black tubing cuz I thought for filter media one would need something to catch the crud like fiber type material :lol:

Ask a Question