Wyoming winters

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice on running my pump system year round,we live in Central Wyo. and see night time lows of neg. 30 below and day time highs of neg. 15 below, these temps can last a couple weeks at a time.This will happen 2 or 3 times in the winter season,this is pretty much the norm for our region.So here is my question, I am thinking of running my flexible pvc pipe from skimmer back to waterfall via the bottom of pond and concealing it with rocks and gravel, theory being pond not frozen line not frozen.My other options are to dig a trench below frost line,4 to 5 ft.or a shallow trench with heat tape pipe wrap .Both of these are vulnerable to power outages and since we live on ranch out of town we are low on power company priority list for restoring service.Will not be using waterfall during coldest months, will set in valve below water line to maintain flow, will this work or is there better way?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The best way I have found to run the filter without any worries is to put every thing that the pump works with is running inside the pond .I also insulate my filter and then build a block wall around it and put a liner in so that if the filter ever leaks it will all run back into the pond ,I want my pond to be as worry free as possible ,I will rebuild both filters the same again .

Attachments

• pond 2013 004.JPG
    pond 2013 004.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 215
  • pond 2013 038.JPG
    pond 2013 038.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 201
  • pond 2013 042.JPG
    pond 2013 042.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 192
  • pond 2013 049.JPG
    pond 2013 049.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 190
  • pond 2013 009.JPG
    pond 2013 009.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 209
  • pond 2013 019.JPG
    pond 2013 019.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 229
  • pond 2013 023.JPG
    pond 2013 023.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 184

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Colleen from canada runs her ponds all winter, check out her thread I shut mine down, except for a aerator.

Reaction score
I also use an aerator in the winter. We can get really cold temps here too and my fear of running my skimmer and waterfall all winter is that it will cool the bottom of my pond off to much. I keep a close eye on the bottom temp of my pond in the winter. Even with just running an aerator the bottom of my pond has gone below 36F when it has gotten really cold outside.

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice on running my pump system year round,we live in Central Wyo. and see night time lows of neg. 30 below and day time highs of neg. 15 below, these temps can last a couple weeks at a time.This will happen 2 or 3 times in the winter season,this is pretty much the norm for our region.So here is my question, I am thinking of running my flexible pvc pipe from skimmer back to waterfall via the bottom of pond and concealing it with rocks and gravel, theory being pond not frozen line not frozen.My other options are to dig a trench below frost line,4 to 5 ft.or a shallow trench with heat tape pipe wrap .Both of these are vulnerable to power outages and since we live on ranch out of town we are low on power company priority list for restoring service.Will not be using waterfall during coldest months, will set in valve below water line to maintain flow, will this work or is there better way?
The best way I have found to run the filter without any worries is to put every thing that the pump works with is running inside the pond .I also insulate my filter and then build a block wall around it and put a liner in so that if the filter ever leaks it will all run back into the pond ,I want my pond to be as worry free as possible ,I will rebuild both filters the same again .

Reaction score
thank you ,this great, real advice from real pond owners.I will insulate all parts of system that are out side of pond by over sizing holes for skimmer and waterfall and foaming the void between dirt and walls of both units,I also have heard that this will help make them more ridged. thanks again paddy

Ask a Question