yabbies

Reaction score
can i add yabbies to my pond that has two goldfish? will the yabbies eat the goldfish? i was thinking this type of yabby with relatively small claws
Prawn
crayfish.jpg

Last edited:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Yabbies? That's a new one on me! Crayfish, crawfish, crawdads... all the same. They'll eat whatever they can catch, be it animal or vegetable, dead or alive. If the fish are larger than the yabbies (I like that word!) then there probably won't be a problem, except maybe a torn fin now and then. Crayfish get a bad reputation as fish killers, when often the fish has actually succumbed to other problems, and the little pincher is just taking advantage of it.
John
P.s. When you collect your yabbies, keep an eye out for salties in the raupo! ;)

Reaction score
hear in Australia they are often referred to as yabbies (larger species are also called crayfish) the goldfish are about 2.5 times bigger than the intended yabbies so it should be ok (only time will tell!).
Thanks again John for your help
P.s. salties is a new word for me! what exactly are you referring to? excuse my ignorance

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
hear in Australia they are often referred to as yabbies (larger species are also called crayfish) the goldfish are about 2.5 times bigger than the intended yabbies so it should be ok (only time will tell!).
Thanks again John for your help
P.s. salties is a new word for me! what exactly are you referring to? excuse my ignorance
Now I'm surprised! o_O I was told years ago (by an Aussie) that salt-water crocodiles are colloquially referred to as 'salties'. Or maybe it was something out of "Footrot Flats". Could have been before your time! ;) I take it you still have raupo growing in the marshes?
John

Reaction score
Sorry mind blank! Yes salties are the crocs that live in the salt. Got to watch out for em' buggers:eek::drowning:

Raupo on the other hand is a kiwi term(New Zealand) generally called bull rush hear in Aus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mozzzika

Latest Threads