Yellow Flag Iris troubles

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Be aware, it's not being invasive in my pond! Actually the opposite, lol.

I've put some yellow flag iris in my bog a few weeks ago, and it seems to be healthy? Leaves are green but some aren't looking to hot. One did sprout up and got bent at the tip somehow. It kept falling over in strong winds, but it's not anymore after I put some rocks around it. Either way, it hasn't been growing at all besides that 1 leaf. I heard it's pretty damn invasive, so is it just too cold out right now? We had snow a few days ago. The days are looking to be highs of 60 and lows of mid-40's. It's a 500 gallon pond with 3 shubunkins in it. Gets sunlight from around 6am to 5pm.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is my yellow flag, it was two iris plants about 5ish years ago, I reduce it by about 1/2 every year to keep it from totally taking over. Blooms great now that the big maple tree died.
IMG_4057.JPG

This is March 29th, it was snowing and the deer love to snack on them.
20210329_095102(1).jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@reefsr I’m not a plant expert, by any means, but I do know that some plants just don’t take off right away. I’ve had many plants (pond and terrestrial) that I was ready to pull ‘cause I just knew they were goners. And some plants just disappeared, only to show up the next growing season, growing like crazy. With some pond plants, I think that the depth of planting can make a difference. I don’t know about yellow flag iris, but I would check the depth and make sure it’s not too deep (or too shallow).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This is my yellow flag, it was two iris plants about 5ish years ago, I reduce it by about 1/2 every year to keep it from totally taking over. Blooms great now that the big maple tree died. View attachment 138210

This is March 29th, it was snowing and the deer love to snack on them. View attachment 138212
How deep should the crown of the plant be inside the water? The gravel?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some with the crown right at surface, some with crown a few inches below. That mass is mostly crown at surface. Left alone most have pushed up to have crown at surface.

I need to yank some more of it, didn't get it done this spring.

Ask a Question