Yellow water lily leaves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Is it normal for some of the leaves to turn bright yellow this time of year? Should I remove them? If so do I need to cut the stem off at the bottom or just anywhere I can reach? See picture.

Attachments

• 7193CD23-6D67-44A1-8E50-19C5CBC9F709.jpeg
    7193CD23-6D67-44A1-8E50-19C5CBC9F709.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 649
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The pads will turn yellow all season long. They all have a "life span" and the plant is continually putting up new pads. Yes, pull or cut them - doesn't really matter where, but whatever remains in the pond will decay so I try to get as much as possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If you have a lot of them going yellow or new ones doing it, you may need to fertilize the plants, it could be a nutrient deficiency, iron or phosphate? I believe. I know for house plants, garden plants, when that happens it’s typically a nutrient issue. Pinch them off, get the aquatic tabs and fertilize them just in case.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Water lilies should be fertilized on a regular basis to maximize blooming, but those look like normal, aging lily pads. The other pads look green and healthy.
How often is regular? I stuck a pellet in when I dropped the new plant in mine about 3 weeks ago.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
How often is regular? I stuck a pellet in when I dropped the new plant in mine about 3 weeks ago.
I fertilize mine twice a month all summer long. And I use a LOT each time - I don’t know what you mean by “pellet” but I’ve been using a fertilizer tab meant for aquatic plants and I use four to six in each pot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I fertilize mine twice a month all summer long. And I use a LOT each time - I don’t know what you mean by “pellet” but I’ve been using a fertilizer tab meant for aquatic plants and I use four to six in each pot.
The place I bought the plant from sold me some fertilizer too. They are small solid pellets/tabs/whatever I stuck one into the dirt in the pot. It is only a 4 or 6" pot.

Ask a Question