Yep, another Newbie!

Reaction score
Hey there! Jimbo from Wildwood, Missouri just posting to say Hi for the first time!

I've tried to do the extensive Pond research thing, but there is really nothing like picking the brain of experienced Pro's, so here I am! I'll be putting in a 800 gallon pre-formed Polytank shortly (38 inches deep), so that's going to be loads of fun............looking forward to that :goldfish:

Can't wait to bother you guys every time I have a stupid question :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks, Jimbo

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Post some pictures of the poly form before it goes int the ground so we can see what you are working with.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Post some pictures of the poly form before it goes int the ground so we can see what you are working with.

Hello DrDave!

Well the Tank is actually in transit to me............should have it by Tuesday! There really isn't much to see. It's just a round tank 7 1/2 feet in diameter and 38 inches deep (800 gallons). Here's what it looks like in the catalog:

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/958/Tanks-Flat-Bottomed

I know, super exciting, huh? Once I cover up the edges with rock and do some landscaping............that should help.

Anyway, what advice can you guys give me as far as digging out the hole and what not??? Anything I should be aware of?? I'm going to put some sand on the bottom of the hole to help make it nice and level and I'm planning on leaving at least 3 inches out of the ground (to prevent run-off and over-flow problems). Anything else?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Dig the hole slightly larger and when you go to level it, partially fill it with water, then start adding sand around it. Be carefull or it will float if you don't add enough water to keep it down.

Other than that, it's just a hole.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Dig the hole slightly larger.

I've heard this tip before, so I know there's a reason. I was planning on making the hole fairly snug, but I will change that now. I'm just curious as to why to make the hole wider than it needs to be? In what way does this help? I need to be educated on this :100:

Ask a Question