Yesterday was officially the first day of Autumn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Since we installed our new Malibu remote pond thermometer I have been busy compairing pond and air temperatures .
They have been pretty level pegging i'e within a degree or so of each other .
Yesterday however we saw the pond stay at 15.4c all day , however the air temperature had dropped markedly .
As I said the pond was at 15,4c however the air temperature was way down at the 9.6c mark .
So judging by the readings changing namely the air temperature you could well say that it was the firs day of Autumn here n Plymouth .
Looking at the temperature this morning with the sun out that same air temperature reading is totally different at 14.4c with the pond temperature dipping over night by .4c

Dave

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Since we installed our new Malibu remote pond thermometer I have been busy compairing pond and air temperatures .
They have been pretty level pegging i'e within a degree or so of each other .
Yesterday however we saw the pond stay at 15.4c all day , however the air temperature had dropped markedly .
As I said the pond was at 15,4c however the air temperature was way down at the 9.6c mark .
So judging by the readings changing namely the air temperature you could well say that it was the firs day of Autumn here n Plymouth .
Looking at the temperature this morning with the sun out that same air temperature reading is totally different at 14.4c with the pond temperature dipping over night by .4c

Dave
How deep are you reading the water temp?

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I hate autumn, my entire life revolves around summer activities, come Oct. I feel I been diagnosed with impending doom.
May.... Now you're talking!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
How deep are you reading the water temp?
Gives us an an all over temperature Peter down to 4.5 ft the insultion around the pond the filter housing etc keeps it very level dropping down to between 9c at its highest during the winter and 7c at its lowest .
We also cover the pond with a double layer of policarbonate roofing sheets to trap any warmth and reflect it back.
The whole point of the exersize though peter is to give us an overall temperature of the pond during the time we do lest in the way of maintenance , however that doesnt mean we dont do water changes because we do [all be it in a reduced form say once every month rather than every two weeks .
To do this we use the trickle method of adding water via a water filter, using the ambient temperature of the pond to warm the water as it trickles back in to the pond.

Dave

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Gives us an an all over temperature Peter down to 4.5 ft the insultion around the pond the filter housing etc keeps it very level dropping down to between 9c at its highest during the winter and 7c at its lowest .
We also cover the pond with a double layer of policarbonate roofing sheets to trap any warmth and reflect it back.
The whole point of the exersize though peter is to give us an overall temperature of the pond during the time we do lest in the way of maintenance , however that doesnt mean we dont do water changes because we do [all be it in a reduced form say once every month rather than every two weeks .
To do this we use the trickle method of adding water via a water filter, using the ambient temperature of the pond to warm the water as it trickles back in to the pond.

Dave
Understood, water temp swings aren't fishes best friend.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Understood, water temp swings aren't fishes best friend.
Your problem is your pond is a) in the ground thus is open to freezing and b) you have no straight edges around the pond to place the policarbonate roofing sheets over thus reducing any windchill factor /
This is where we win hands down , our tank is free standing has a bottom drain and is as is everything insulated pipework included een the UV-C is boxed and insulated thus it doesnt freeze either ..
Ok so it looks a tad like a Jaccusi but you cant win em all my friend :LOL:

Dave

Ask a Question