Yet another newb pond construction thread

Reaction score
Country
United States
not sure if you indicated where you are (re zone, frost level) but I'd make sure any plumbing that might have water in it over winter in freezing temp zones, is BELOW the frost level (or, you blow it out before winter). You don't want a leak due to splitting pipe and having to dig it up. I put all my pipe inside the pond or bog and have allowances for whatever is exposed to freezing weather so it doesn't split. It also insures if there is a leak, all the water stays in the pond and not out.
I'm in zone 6a I believe. I can't get the plumbing down below frost so I'll be making sure all the plumbing falls down back into the skimmer. During winter shut down I'll just pull the check valve out of the skimmer and drain the waterfall, pump and the line all back into the pond. I'm also using flex everywhere I can so that will help some.

My pond guy has built a lot of ponds like this around here and he is going to assist me on the plumbing.

Thanks for the tip.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Just got done trenching for the bottom drain, skimmer, and electrical. It cost me $100 for the trencher but saved me days of digging. I can't believe how hard the ground is right now.

We could really use some rain but that means od have to cover everything to prevent washouts.

I should be able to get the electrical done today and hopefully be able to start plumbing soon so the liner can get installed.

I'm done working right now because I'm going boulder shopping.
Nice work!

that so expensive for a rental of a trencher, but my local hardware store is super cheap, just make sure you ge tit cleaned up before you send it back,they really don’t like you if you don’t!

all I can say is it all gets more enjoyable when the digging phase is done :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice work!

that so expensive for a rental of a trencher, but my local hardware store is super cheap, just make sure you ge tit cleaned up before you send it back,they really don’t like you if you don’t!

all I can say is it all gets more enjoyable when the digging phase is done :)
The "ghetto but always runs" rental place I usually use didnt have anything this small so I had to use the expensive place.

The way I see it as this. I got a quote from my local Certified Aquascape Contractor do do all this work (fun) for me and was quoted nearly $40k. Mind you it would have probably been beyond amazing because they do awesome work. I just couldn't see paying that much for something I enjoy enjoy doing anyway.

I do wish I could just hire them to do the rock work and waterfall/stream thing because I'm still super nervous about getting that right and everything I see them do blows my mind.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
The "ghetto but always runs" rental place I usually use didnt have anything this small so I had to use the expensive place.

The way I see it as this. I got a quote from my local Certified Aquascape Contractor do do all this work (fun) for me and was quoted nearly $40k. Mind you it would have probably been beyond amazing because they do awesome work. I just couldn't see paying that much for something I enjoy enjoy doing anyway.

I do wish I could just hire them to do the rock work and waterfall/stream thing because I'm still super nervous about getting that right and everything I see them do blows my mind.
That would be awsome! You dig the hole and get some of the plumbing and stuff done, and they do the stuff that sets them apart, rockwork!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Made more progress today. I installed a dual pole 20 amp GFCI breaker in the garage and ran the electrical to the 2 new outlets each on their own circuit. Fun stuff!

This week I plan on getting the plumbing roughed in and do more shaping to the berm.

I'll be getting my first load of rock dropped off tomorrow as well.

Getting closer everyday.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rock delivery got rescheduled and the snow put a halt to my plans to work on the pond tonight.

I still could have done stuff I just felt like taking the night off. I've been working on it everyday for the last 10 days on top of of working a 50 hour work week.

I'm thinking if i can just get the plumbing roughed in and the bottom drain installed in the liner it can sit until spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@GBBUDD makes a great point - take lots of pictures all along the way, from many different angles. I made sure to take a series of photos from an upstairs window which is fun to see now how much things have changed. You want to document your work, but also it's a great way to be able to share with others later how you put something together. Sometimes I even check back on pictures for my own benefit. For example, we had the underground lines people here last week to replace some electrical cables that run through the gardens. It was helpful to be able to show them where things were so they could avoid it if possible.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@GBBUDD makes a great point - take lots of pictures all along the way, from many different angles. I made sure to take a series of photos from an upstairs window which is fun to see now how much things have changed. You want to document your work, but also it's a great way to be able to share with others later how you put something together. Sometimes I even check back on pictures for my own benefit. For example, we had the underground lines people here last week to replace some electrical cables that run through the gardens. It was helpful to be able to show them where things were so they could avoid it if possible.

I've been taking lots of pics but when progress slows down they all kind of look the same.

Just to keep the thread going I'll share this.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Close ups are little help down the road . trying to decipher where things line up with what hard scapes .

Your pond looks rather shallow are you planning a fish cave? this will help them hide when a preditor arrives.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We finally got some rain yesterday and it's going to continue all night tonight. I wasn't prepared and didnt have anything covered up. There were some major downpours but there doesn't appear any washouts and everything still looks fine. The trenches I dug aren't as deep as they were before the rain but that's okay. As long as I can get the right slope so they can be drained for winter depth really isn't an issue.

I recieved confirmation that my order for 12 tons of fieldstone has been made and will arrive some late next week or the week after.

I have a little bit of digging left in the pond yet. The area for the skimmer needs dug out, some tree roots need cut back, and some of the shelves need cleaned up.

Once that's done the plumbing, underlayment, and liner can go in.

Without getting into specific details I really wish I would have gone a different route as far as who I choose to order equipment from.

I can't get an actual model number of filter or uv, and now messages are not being responded to nor has he called back. I was also told I'd receive a Firestone liner and got Anjon.

Now I'm to the point where I need supplies I paid for and he's not responding to my requests.

I'm literally a couple days away from requesting a refund and making this a complete DIY project.

So much for tying to support a local business.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh no! That's the worst feeling... I hope you get it resolved. I guess the best part of that is that it is a local business so you can go right to his door if you need to. Good luck!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh no! That's the worst feeling... I hope you get it resolved. I guess the best part of that is that it is a local business so you can go right to his door if you need to. Good luck!

Yeah, it's not an good feeling at all. I was really hoping this would work out but so far dealing with this business has led to more stress and aggravation than it's probably worth.

I decided this morning that I would give him until when my rock is delivered (late next week) to reply to my request or demand a refund.

I don't think he's trying to be fraudulent. He's basically a one man show and has a very large client base. This time of year is probably pretty hectic for him but I just don't get why he can't seem to give me specifics on equipment in a timely manner. I've been asking for 2 weeks, so far all he's told me are brand names.

To me, that's not the way to do business.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Got everything cleared up with my contractor today. It was all just a simple misunderstanding. Anyway that's behind me and we are moving forward. Plumbing should be going in the ground next week provided we have some days greater than 40 degrees.

Ask a Question