Yet another newb pond construction thread

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i forget was he going to cut your liner and install main drains? if he is do you trust him to be a stand up guy and come back to fix if a leak appears. i would fill just enough to cover your drains and let the water sit for a couple days make sure there are no leaks

Reaction score
Country
United States
i forget was he going to cut your liner and install main drains? if he is do you trust him to be a stand up guy and come back to fix if a leak appears. i would fill just enough to cover your drains and let the water sit for a couple days make sure there are no leaks

Yes, he's doing the bottom drain installation. I've watched a few videos how to do it but would feel more comfortable having someone who's done hundreds of them do that part.

I trust him. I think I just caught him at a really busy time. He's winterizing everyone else's ponds and my dumbass is in the middle of trying to get one installed.

Having the extra time actually allowed me to think things through a little more. That said, I've made some equipment changes as well as decided to build and equipment shed with a pump pit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
having the pump just above water level is easiest to work on. if you place it lower priming will be a breeze but if your pump should die or crack from cold weather the pond will empty out to that level.

Reaction score
Country
United States
having the pump just above water level is easiest to work on. if you place it lower priming will be a breeze but if your pump should die or crack from cold weather the pond will empty out to that level.
Advice like this is priceless. I think just the settling tank will be in the pit. Everything else will be above ground.

Reaction score
Country
United States
After just staring at my pond construction site I've decided I want to incorperate another element into the mix. There is no way im just going to let several thousand dollars of filtration equipment just sit outside and there is no point in trying to cram it all into some ugly little box.

My wife and I have been discussing buying or building a shed to store things like bikes, lawnmower, chairs, and other stuff we cant use in the winter.

Being that my equipment needs a home and i also need some storage space ive decided to build a "garden shed" that can solve bth of those problems as well as look nice.

Im thinking something like this would be a great addition to my backyard.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
After just staring at my pond construction site I've decided I want to incorperate another element into the mix. There is no way im just going to let several thousand dollars of filtration equipment just sit outside and there is no point in trying to cram it all into some ugly little box.

My wife and I have been discussing buying or building a shed to store things like bikes, lawnmower, chairs, and other stuff we cant use in the winter.

Being that my equipment needs a home and i also need some storage space ive decided to build a "garden shed" that can solve bth of those problems as well as look nice.

Im thinking something like this would be a great addition to my backyard.
Holy dang, we literally just built that shed for our new chicken coop, 45 degree roof is a mess, it is kind huge inside, we spent 12 thousand on just basic materials, It took all spring and summer to build ( weekends ) not just a throw up shed, and we needed permits because the shed is so tall that it is over the limit ( at least in CO ) a huge project, more expensive than your pond might be.

I would suggest a lean to style small shed, can be done ( well ) for around 1,000 dollars, don't go for the overly cheap kits though, when working on a pool shed we were going to go witht his 4x8 lean to kit for 500, in the end we did it ourselves, 1100 total cost.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Holy dang, we literally just built that shed for our new chicken coop, 45 degree roof is a mess, it is kind huge inside, we spent 12 thousand on just basic materials, It took all spring and summer to build ( weekends ) not just a throw up shed, and we needed permits because the shed is so tall that it is over the limit ( at least in CO ) a huge project, more expensive than your pond might be.

I would suggest a lean to style small shed, can be done ( well ) for around 1,000 dollars, don't go for the overly cheap kits though, when working on a pool shed we were going to go witht his 4x8 lean to kit for 500, in the end we did it ourselves, 1100 total cost.
The article says that one cost around $3k in materials back in 2014. I was planning on making it a little smaller, less windows, and just keeping the floor gravel.

I've looked at kits, and pre-made options. Kits are nice but seem basic and most premade options are priced high and are made as cheap as possible. It doesn't make sense to store $5k in pond equipment in a $400 shack.

The shed is going to be directly behind my pond, I don't want just a cheap shack that I regret buying everytime I look out at my pond. It needs to be functional but also add to the ambiance.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
The article says that one cost around $3k in materials back in 2014. I was planning on making it a little smaller, less windows, and just keeping the floor gravel.

I've looked at kits, and pre-made options. Kits are nice but seem basic and most premade options are priced high and are made as cheap as possible. It doesn't make sense to store $5k in pond equipment in a $400 shack.

The shed is going to be directly behind my pond, I don't want just a cheap shack that I regret buying everytime I look out at my pond. It needs to be functional but also add to the ambiance.
Do whatever you like, just know what you are really getting into, 5k in pond equipment sounds like you are buying airpods as pond equipment, addy1 probably built her bog for less than that, and that is for a 10k gallon pond.

I place my value in aesthetics and a functioning ecosystem, not stuffing the most fish in the smallest container possible and spending excess amounts on equipment.

IMG_1161.jpg

This may be a bit more than what you are looking at, powered by solar, fully heated ect, but this is what cost us 12k Smooth siding also cost us a fair amount more than traditional.

IMG_1162.jpg

I wouldn't necessarily call this a "cheap shack " Just not too much more than you really need to spend.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
lol I bought some and used them once. Just don't like things in my ears. They do have good sound.
I have honestly thought about airpods or something ( Apple probably wouldn't even let me connect galaxy buds ) But for some reason I seem to break all earbuds, like the sound just stops working after a while and it comes out of the secondary speaker instead, and then just stops altogether, so I am too scared to spend that much money on something like that and then have that happen to me.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wanted to use them when running the tractor, but you need to really crank up the sound to hear it over the diesel engine, which is hard on the ears. So now just a expensive trinket sitting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Advice like this is priceless. I think just the settling tank will be in the pit. Everything else will be above ground.
A settling tank if close to the pump and the water line is close to the bottom of the pump i would think you would have no problems with just about any pump being able to self prime . its when you have like a foot differance and say 20 feet awy where priming can be a night mare butttttttt you can always add a garden hose faucet inline with the pvc pipe so you can hook up a hose to the pvs pipe and run the water to get the prime going . You will need a double ended hose as both ends will need to be female

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A simple little shed with some bling can go along way without dumping serious cash. Such as a simple gable roof looking at the pond and adding a small deck and i mean small more like just han d rails and window boxes and stepping up the windows to something more interesting like tall skinny windows instead of the regular rectangles

Ask a Question