Yet Another Pond Cover!

Reaction score
I've been building wood frames for my pond net covers for quite some time but they always sag and/or break. So I decided I needed something better...something which would last... and my better half came across koikeepr's Winter Pond Cover post which served as our base plan. But my pond is an (approximate) 14-foot by 16-foot oval which presented a number of problems. In addition, my cost was much higher then koikeeprs. I bought an extra large nylon net at my local pond store. It was $55.00 but it's nylon (much stronger then the MANY plastic nets I've purchased over the years I think) and I can make 2 covers out of it. My PVC parts, tie-wraps, rebar, etc. cost $80.00 at Home Depot, so I'm into this for $135.00.

After assembling the materials it took us about 4 hours to build and install it, and I'm very pleased with the results...it is very sturdy and should last a very long time.

Many many thanks to koikeepr for taking the time to make the post which helped me visualize the plan. I hope my post benefits someone too!

Here are some pictures...

pond-cover-1.jpg

pond-cover-2.jpg

pond-cover-3.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice job, looks like it will work great too. I am sure the koi will love the protection.

Very inventive.!

Reaction score
I understand the reason for this, but after making your pond look so natural and blend in with the suroundings i cant imagine putting something like that which stick outs like a sour thumb over it. i guess i am lucky that where i live i have no snow or birds of prey

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bsr8129 said:
I understand the reason for this, but after making your pond look so natural and blend in with the suroundings i cant imagine putting something like that which stick outs like a sour thumb over it. i guess i am lucky that where i live i have no snow or birds of prey

I have snow, birds of prey, fox, raccoon, etc etc............and no net, but not doing koi. I don't want anything I have to worry that much about.

They are pretty for the koi lovers out there!

Reaction score
bsr8129 said:

I lost 5 fish to a racoon (or cats) during the past year due to my laziness in not fixing the old broken wood framed pond cover. In addition, a couple of years ago my wife saw a heron in our pond with it's bill to the shy and a fish tail slithering into it's mouth. The neighbors cats fish at my pond and -- yesterday -- I found one of my (prized) koi big boys out of the pond, out of water, languishing on top of the damaged wooden pond cover frame. Luckily I found him in time and he seems to be doing ok. So...if I want fish...I don't have much of a choice. I intend to spray paint the white 1/2 inch pvc piping with black plastic/paint (as discussed in koikeepr's topic) which will turn the entire appartatus semi-invisible (much as it is presently difficult to discern the black nylon netting in the above pictures).

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Quintus said:
pvc piping with black plastic/paint (as discussed in koikeepr's topic) which will turn the entire appartatus semi-invisible (much as it is presently difficult to discern the black nylon netting in the above pictures).

It is a great looking frame the black paint will make it non see able. You are right if you want koi you have to protect them That is why I am not doing koi........... This is more of a water garden open to wild life. If we do any fish it is deep enough to protect them, but they will be something besides koi..........nickle feeders lol

Reaction score
addy1 said:
It is a great looking frame the black paint will make it non see able...

I'll try to remember to post new pictures after it is painted black.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Quintus said:
I'll try to remember to post new pictures after it is painted black.

Great look forward to it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Quintus said:
OMG!!! I just noticed!!! I think I know where those koi went!!!

pond-cover-4.jpg

hungry gator.............utoh! lol
Look at those pearly whites too, he keeps them clean.

Reaction score
Very nice, I Iike it alot. How what are the dimensions of your pond? I 'd like to do some thing like that for shade until my plants can do it.

Reaction score
My pond is a kind of oval shape, approximately 14-feet by 16-feet.

No, those are not leds.

Ask a Question