Yet Another Pond Cover!

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
fishing lines[zig-zagged across the pond] works well in keeping out critter's and birds...Do you plan to use plastic over that during the snow months.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the pond cover idea using pvc! :claphands: I can now keep all of the acorns & leaves out of my 15'x8' Koi pond this fall season!
Haven't completed the finishing touches but, very pleased so far!
2013-10-20 17.46.39.jpg2013-10-20 17.59.13.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think these net covers are great! I like the idea of nylon netting as opposed to the plastic variety. I'm covered for this year, but will work on this for next year - thanks! Kim

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Looks great! I keeping thinking about replacing my PVC framed netting but procrastination keeps it at the status quo. If I do replace it, I'm thinking of making it big enough so I can sit or walk under it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
window screening works also if you have pine trees and you can get it in bigger rolls/I'm lucky I can attach mine to the bridge and use electrical conduit that was left here when my house was built and pipe clamps also left here .I just used fishing line to sew pockets in the window screening to put the pipe through .I keep it on all the time and built it 4 years ago

Attachments

• pond 10 21 2013 electric marks 031.JPG
    pond 10 21 2013 electric marks 031.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 356

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When I try to do anything with PVC pipe, it wants to collapse -- can't figure out how to keep it rigid enough to support its own weight. Have played around with different sized pipe, but still not getting that self-supporting "dome" or arched shape. Am getting pretty frustrated because it seems like it should be a no-brainer.

Reaction score
Mmathis said:
When I try to do anything with PVC pipe, it wants to collapse
The trick is in triangles (used in all kinds of construction). Referring to my previous posting, and its photo, above...I used 1/2" thin-walled PVC which spans over 9' that, itself, would have a lot of droop, but because of the triangles, . What forms the triangles in mine is the 2 horizontal cross pieces, the center post, and the angled pieces which run from the top-center to the outside edges.

Reaction score
We have raccoon and lots of herons around here, but keeping my pond relatively small and inconspicuous, and enclosed in our courtyard walls has kept it safe so far without the use of a net.
We live a couple hundred feet from a creek where I often see herons flying over, but so far none have dropped in. There is no doubt they could, and would, drop in if they noticed my fish, but the pond is deep and I try to keep a lot of plant cover for the fish to hide under, with minimal spots for a heron to stand beside the pond. 
 I figured if I ever did need a net I could string it up high, from the roof to the top of the courtyard walls. At least then the view of the pond would not be compromised. 
For now I think my fish will be safe without a net, but only time will tell
med_gallery_3859_189_72544.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just like when they make greenhouses out of pvc they need strength coming from all angles .Elbows help and to hold the net you could cut a piece of elbow 3 or 4 inches long and cut part of it out length wise and snap it over the pipe and screening or netting it acts as a clamp .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you cut out a piece of the pvc or abs you end up with a clamp .It just snaps over the whole pipe and netting and holds them down tight

Ask a Question