You can never have too much filter, but???

Reaction score
From what I've read on the site, you can never have too much filter. Right now, my pond is a small preformed pond around 60 gallons. I plan (once I get a job and $$) to dig out the raised planter it is in and put a liner pond in it. That pond will be 650 gallons or so (I know, still a small pond, but, that's what hubby will let me get away with). Anyway, I have a 55 gallon drum and all the PVC fittings etc... to make a DOC or Skippy style bio-filter. Would that be too much for my current pond, since it is almost the same size? Or, does it even matter? I'd like to build one that will be big enough for the larger pond so I don't need to do it twice.

Reaction score
It's fine.
The hard part with drums is hiding them. I ran my plumbing to a near by shed that the filter is in.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You will have one very clean pond with a nice big filter for your pond.

Reaction score
Thanks KennethO and Addy. Yes, hiding it will be a problem, its bright blue! I'm not going to worry about that so much for now, but, will have to figure something out when I make the larger pond. The planter area backs up to my tortoise enclosure, maybe the tortoises won't mind a big blue barrel taking up some space LOL

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My honey cut a one of those blue barrels in half, to cover our pump. I primed it, got textured gray spray paint, it blends it nicely.

You can see it to the back of this picture.

DSC01594.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
All I can see are those fire cracker flowers that I wish I could grow here. tried them several times and never seen a single bloom. BTW where is it? In front of the truck?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Look between the two firecracker plants, you can see water follow that water to the edge is a black looking rock, one spot of white showing. That is an upside down 1/2 of a 55 gallon blue barrel, our temporary pump cover. I didn't think to get a better shot while out there today, but will.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think I can see it. Is it the grey thingy? Are those the red hot poker plants you guys are calling firecrackers. Love them :regular_waving_emot

Reaction score
I, too, have (had) a blue, 55 gallon drum for a filter - I just brush painted it Hunter Green and used tan, brown and black spray paint (all Rustoleum) to "camoflage" it. Then, I put it up on cinder blocks (painted those, too) and hid it behind a big Rhododendron. No one even notices it unless I point it out.

Reaction score
Addy, that really blends in nicely. I may try painting it. Or, maybe I can bet my hubby to build a little wishing well around it. My pond is pretty much in the middle of hardscape and backs up to the wall around my tortoise enclosure.

BTW, do cats make good filter media? I'm ready to throw mine in. She is old and deaf, and won't leave me alone :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Jas2Cats said:
Addy, that really blends in nicely. I may try painting it. Or, maybe I can bet my hubby to build a little wishing well around it. My pond is pretty much in the middle of hardscape and backs up to the wall around my tortoise enclosure.

BTW, do cats make good filter media? I'm ready to throw mine in. She is old and deaf, and won't leave me alone :)

It is a temporary cover, but knowing my sweets, maybe permanent, lol, it works great keeps the pump out of the weather, has good air flow around it. Not real noticeable.

That was just a can of brown and a can of grayish, black spray paint. It is textured.

Ask a Question