You just never know

Reaction score
"It was just amazing to see these bones and the size of these bones come out of the ground."

Eric Witzke told WWMT he was working on a simple project in his backyard in Michigan last November when he accidentally dug up an ancient animal.

Witze was digging to make a pond when he noticed bones sticking out of the dirt. He called over his neighbor Daniel Lapoint Jr, who helped uncover 42 bones that, when put together, turned out to be a mastodon from 10 to 40,000 years ago. It took them four days to complete the dig.

"I'm speechless because it's just a one in a lifetime find."

WWMT reports more than 300 mastodon bone sites have been uncovered in Michigan so if you feel like doing a little digging out there, it might work out in your favor. You might also try Colorado.

Last year, a volunteer paleontologist stumbled across the largest apatosaurus femur ever.

Those dinos lived during the late Jurassic Period - around 150 million years ago.That find was just one of nearly 2,000 bones found in the area.

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/01/...129693/?cps=gravity_1593_-1915284193914349923

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would love to find something like that! All I found, when digging our pond, was our septic tank and lines.....................luckily stopped in time

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow what a find for that guy in Mi. Darn we lived in Mi. for 2 yrs.............I should have been digging!

Lol addy glad you stopped in time :D

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just for you @cnyle
iu

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We had no idea where it was, Ours does not have any piping out of ground, just one of those big tanks. I was using the back hoe, thought I was digging out a big rock finally decided I had better check since it was not moving. This was after a few good hits. And opps found the tank. When digging the big pond, again the back hoe, felt a different feel to the dirt, found our pipe leading to the drain field, just glad I did not break anything.

I now have the drain for the tank covered with a bucket, with a big white rock on it, if we ever need to drain it. I don't think it had ever been drained and it was in good shape.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my pipe for clean out here is above ground the one NJ we had to dig up to find it .My wishing well sits over top of my clean out .Pic was taken when I was still building it

Attachments

• house 2011 spring 025.JPG
    house 2011 spring 025.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 212

Ask a Question