Young Bullfrog?

Reaction score
I've been trying to ID this young frog who moved into our pond during our last huzzah of the rainy season. I've not yet heard any sound from it, and it was originally very shy but has now gotten somewhat use to me. I'm beginning to believe I have a young bullfrog on my hands, and thinking I need to make some plans to rehome the youngster.

Thoughts? Opinions?

A Frog.jpg

Thanks all,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thats a bullfrog. If it's a male you better get earplugs! In many states they are considered invasive and are illegal to transport so check your state codes before you drop it off somewhere.

Reaction score
Thanks all. They are native here, I figured I would see one eventually, but didn't expect it to be so small. It is not much more than an inch and half. I plan to take it across the street to the lake it probably spawned in. At least it is finally cooling off so it will be easier to catch.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It might just come back, I have no lakes near me, a river 3 miles away and ended up with bull frogs in our pond.

Reaction score
I really enjoy the frogs and keep them in my pond until i feel they are big enough to eat one of my 10 biggest fish. Those 10 were my original stock. All the rest are their kids and i let nature take its course with them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I've had bullfrogs since I dug my first pond last year in May. I've not had any fish go missing, although I'm sure there have been some small ones that I never saw in the first place. I know that bullfrogs CAN eat fish that are almost as big as them, but they typically will eat bugs, grasshoppers, etc., or things that fly by or jump out of the water. I enjoy feeding my bullies grasshoppers, the bigger the bullfrog, the bigger the grasshopper I toss in. I make it fair, if the grasshopper is fast and smart, they get right back out of there. I always toss it onto lilies. Some are really smart, no way do the bullies get to them. I'm not totally cruel. :)
So, in my opinion, not only will they eat your bugs, but if they spawn in your pond, they will provide food for your fish, too! Not sure how big your fish are, but I have goldfish (all sizes, from less than 1" to about 6") and koi (babies are about 4" now, largest is about 14") and of the fish I can identify, have lost none.
Good luck with your frog! As Addy said, even if you rehome it across the street, it or a relative will be back. Going to be hard to keep them out of your pond. So, might as well let them help keep your yard bug-free!

Reaction score
Hey Addy, if I was a frog, I would find your pond way more wonderful than any old river!

I'm not ready to let a bullfrog call my small pond home. We already have the resident family of Southern Leopard Frogs. Mr, and his harem. Sometimes two sometimes three Mrs's. I suppose leopard frogs could eat fish also, but I'm more worried about a giant bull frog. Bug season is slowing down here and I am already missing a couple small fish. So, Youngster bullfrog was rehomed today. It had warmed up today, and it wasn't easy at all catching the guy. Finally, the deed was done. I decided to take the kid down to my pond-away-from pond. The wildlife pond at the extension office. I think he will be much happier. A pond full of gambusia that he can snack on to his hearts content. And a wetlands conservation area across the parking lot he/she can look for romance later.

IMG_3004.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have tons of frogs, If I catch a bull frog it does get relocated, they are very wary and not an easy catch. I netted the bottom of the big pond, did not pull any up like I did last year, they probably are hiding in the small ponds that I am not cleaning until spring, if then.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
When I pulled some lily pots yesterday, there was a frog in one of them, likely young bullfrog, only about 3-4" long. He was NOT happy to be brought out of his hibernation spot. But, I'm sure he found another one when he finally made it back into the pond. LOL

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
When I tore out my skippy filter I found 4 massive bull frogs in the bottom of it. I have no clue where they came from since there isn't any pond close by. We have a big field behind our house that is a storm sewer run off area. There used to be a small creek running back there just from all the drain tile running to there but they have since put in more tile and brought in a ton of dirt to fill in the creek. I have tons of toads that call my pond home. The fish love all the toad poles in the spring when they have babies. I let nature do its thing with that.

Reaction score
Wowzers, that is some harem. I see my rehomed bull frog at the ag center pond, he is quite content living with all you can eat gambusia. My fish at home are missing their caviar meals.

Ask a Question