Young Hawks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
anyone have suggestion on how I can keep young Hawks from swooping down on my pond? I do not want to use netting because I would not want to hurt or kill the Hawks. So far they are just flying around and looking down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Our neighborhood is part of an 18 year study on red tailed hawks. They've nested here for years and are banded and tracked. I've never had them show an interest in our pond, so I'll be interested to hear what others say...if they've had experiences with hawks as pond predators.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a lot of hawks around here because of the nearby woods and prairie restoration. Mostly Red-tailed, Sharp-shinned, and Coopers Hawks. Never had an issue with them. I don't think they really hunt things in water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a hawk visiting my pond and that's one of the main reasons I keep it netted now (using pvc pipe as a frame with pond net attached and secured to the frame with tie wraps. the whole things sits on top of my rock work around the edge of the pond) When I'm home and outside I will take the cover off but I don't ever leave it off for any length of time if I will not be there to keep an eye on it. One side of my pond where I have a plant shelf is left open so that toads or other critters can have access to the pond.

If you don't want a net for aesthetic reasons then make sure your fish have plenty of cover.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I saw a post a few years ago on a pond site where a hawk drowned in pond after getting tangled in pond net. I love my fish but rather not risk a creature to get hurt or die (other than snakes). Was thinking maybe putting up a scarecrow lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our hawks just go after the frogs, ignore the fish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hawks will not bother your fish. They may visit to drink and maybe a little bath. They may grab a frog but that is still not common. I have hawks around the pond too but they are hunting the little birds going to the feeders. Depending on the netting and the way it is installed it could be bad for the hawks. I would just let them do there thing.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have had red-tailed hawks in the yard for years. It has been a problem with them going after fish. Last year they ripped holes in the net over the pond.

Ask a Question