Your bog in the winter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am thinking about adding a bog above my waterfall. I pretty much mentally have it all planned out. Instead of the water running from my skimmer to the water fall box. I will run it to the bog and then the bog to the falls. Just coming out of the winter months I have a few concerns... I am sure I will have more Bog questions but I will create that thread in a different area.

1 - I let me water fall run straight through winter and had no issues. Adding my bog to the mix would that create more surface area and potentially freeze on me? I live in the NY

2 - Plants, if hardy I wont have to take them out correct?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
2 - plants hardy yep fine, all of mine are coming back from the freezing winter.

1- I shut all down for the winter so can't help. My bog does fine freezing up over the winter, plants do fine.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have my bog above my waterfall. It flows from my skimmer splits and runs to my filter falls and the bog. They both flow out at the same spot and out to the falls. My hardy plants come back each year. I don't run my year round so can't help you there. I have pictures of my bog on my threads in my signature.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ran our bog all winter, this year of all years! Had we known what the winter was going to bring we wouldn't have had the nerve to do it. But by the time we were in it, it was too late to change our course. The end result? Everything worked great! Water kept flowing, pump kept pumping, plants are coming back right on schedule... well, at least as on schedule as this very late spring will allow. So now we know that our system can handle some pretty extreme weather!

For comparison sake, our bog is 4 x 6 at the surface, and four feet deep.

Ask a Question