sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Does any one ever read the ingredients on there fish food and wonder to them selves if any of this stuff is good for my fish .I was just looking at the ingredients on dr foster and smith food and the other brand blue ridge .The blue ridge stuff I would never feed to my fish .My fish love krill and shrimp and fruit .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That blue ridge stuff has lots of fillers in it and stuff that I would not want to feed my fish .It says it reduces waste ,but how when there is nothing much good in it .I was thinking about it when I was buying my dogs dog food ,I look at the ingredients and I know that there are lots of fillers in dog food that are not good for them .I remember when i was looking for new food for my fish I was looking at the ingredients and wondering if this ingredient is bad for my dogs is it also bad for fish .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm about to switch over to summer food ( crazy cool spell here right now!) so will look at this one, as I buy from the Brothers :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If and when I feed the fish, it's the same stuff I feed my dog....dog food. I love my dog, he gets good food.:)
Before I get banned from the site, let me explain.
I was feeding the fish dog food everyday last season and at the first "plop" sound, they'd come running...swimming.... as fast as they could to be first in line. It got to the point where if they saw me they'd come to the surface and wait. This caused two problems; The first being any image moving around the perimeter of the pond would draw them up. Even a heron. I don't want to feed the heron too. The second problem became their no-shame attitude of entitlement. Here I am taking the best care of them I know how, and they expect to be hand-fed too. Fortunately winter happened and they were left to their own devices for 4 1/2 months and it was get back to reality or starve. Out of approximately 70 fish I lost one, and that wasn't starvation it was stupidity. So I decided this spring, no more Mr Niceguy. They can get used to their natural cuisine or leave. So far nobody has left, starved, or even lost any weight, so I'm cutting way back on the welfare. They're doing fine eating the stuff carp eat. Call it "Tough Love".

I do treat them occasionally with some dog food though.:)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The reason I like fish food is because the new brand I am using has garlic in it and garlic helps the fish come out of winter .It helps them ward off diseases and helps them with there digestion .I know colleen also feeds dog food .I also hand feed mine and have done so since they were only a couple of inch's long .The new fall food has garlic and other great ingredients .But they still love there fresh fruit and krill and shrimp .I prefer the stuff i got from pet solutions .I used to use tetra but after reading the ingredients I switched

Attachments

• pet solutions 2014 005.JPG
    pet solutions 2014 005.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 186
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Through my readings ( I'm not an expert, but always trying to learn ) I've learned that koi are less winter hardy than gold fish, so not eating through the winter is harder on them. I try to feed mine , so they are strong and healthy enough to make it through the winter....plus I enjoy feeding them. I only feed mine once per day and not heavily.

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I buy the standard pet store koi food and mix it about 1:2 with a generic catfish food that I bought at the local feed and seed store. I've been told that this isn't recommended, but honestly they love it and it's food that's designed for growth in catfish so it makes them grow quick. One reason carp tend to taste bad is because they eat pretty much everything in the wild, and my thinking is that since this is fish food, its better than a lot of stuff they could eat. Sometimes I give them cat food or hermit crab food as a treat as well :D. They often get the lemon and lime slices from my parents' and my drinks (Of the alcoholic variety) as well as the occasional raspberry and strawberry from the plants around the house. I also give worms when I'm digging or landscaping.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh I feed a little over the winter also .Seems they eat everything in the pond and you see the liner after a couple of weeks .It is not because I am over stocked because i only have 16 fish to 5000 gallons .I don't like the sinking kind of food I used it once and what a mess my pond was from the uneaten stuff left on the bottom .I guess they get lazy during the summer months and just want what they are given .I only feed mine 3 or 4 times a week in the summer because they won't be hungry enough to clean there house .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They eat koi .I saw a place in NC that sells koi sushi .The sign was out by the road .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not me ,I would never eat it .I just happened to notice the sign when I took my sister to get her cast put on .I had never been to that section of Reidsville NC before

Ask a Question