your fish food is it good or bad

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sissy, Jun 2, 2015.

1. sissy

sissy sissy

Does any one ever read the ingredients on there fish food and wonder to them selves if any of this stuff is good for my fish .I was just looking at the ingredients on dr foster and smith food and the other brand blue ridge .The blue ridge stuff I would never feed to my fish .My fish love krill and shrimp and fruit .

sissy, Jun 2, 2015
    Amy likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. sissy

HARO Pondcrastinator

Sounds good enough to eat, Sissy! ;)
    John

HARO, Jun 2, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. sissy

sissy sissy

That blue ridge stuff has lots of fillers in it and stuff that I would not want to feed my fish .It says it reduces waste ,but how when there is nothing much good in it .I was thinking about it when I was buying my dogs dog food ,I look at the ingredients and I know that there are lots of fillers in dog food that are not good for them .I remember when i was looking for new food for my fish I was looking at the ingredients and wondering if this ingredient is bad for my dogs is it also bad for fish .

sissy, Jun 2, 2015
  4. sissy

JBtheExplorer Native Gardener

Considering the ingredients in the food I eat, the fish are probably eating much healthier no matter what is in their food!

JBtheExplorer, Jun 2, 2015
  5. sissy

Tula

I'm about to switch over to summer food ( crazy cool spell here right now!) so will look at this one, as I buy from the Brothers :)

Tula, Jun 2, 2015
  6. sissy

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Consider this-
    In their natural environs, detritus comprises a large portion of a Carp's daily diet.

Meyer Jordan, Jun 2, 2015
  7. sissy

Timothy Proprietor "Frog's Neck Inn"

If and when I feed the fish, it's the same stuff I feed my dog....dog food. I love my dog, he gets good food.:)
    Before I get banned from the site, let me explain.
    I was feeding the fish dog food everyday last season and at the first "plop" sound, they'd come running...swimming.... as fast as they could to be first in line. It got to the point where if they saw me they'd come to the surface and wait. This caused two problems; The first being any image moving around the perimeter of the pond would draw them up. Even a heron. I don't want to feed the heron too. The second problem became their no-shame attitude of entitlement. Here I am taking the best care of them I know how, and they expect to be hand-fed too. Fortunately winter happened and they were left to their own devices for 4 1/2 months and it was get back to reality or starve. Out of approximately 70 fish I lost one, and that wasn't starvation it was stupidity. So I decided this spring, no more Mr Niceguy. They can get used to their natural cuisine or leave. So far nobody has left, starved, or even lost any weight, so I'm cutting way back on the welfare. They're doing fine eating the stuff carp eat. Call it "Tough Love".

I do treat them occasionally with some dog food though.:)

Timothy, Jun 2, 2015
  8. sissy

sissy sissy

The reason I like fish food is because the new brand I am using has garlic in it and garlic helps the fish come out of winter .It helps them ward off diseases and helps them with there digestion .I know colleen also feeds dog food .I also hand feed mine and have done so since they were only a couple of inch's long .The new fall food has garlic and other great ingredients .But they still love there fresh fruit and krill and shrimp .I prefer the stuff i got from pet solutions .I used to use tetra but after reading the ingredients I switched

Attached Files:

sissy, Jun 2, 2015
    C-Note likes this.
  9. sissy

Tula

Through my readings ( I'm not an expert, but always trying to learn ) I've learned that koi are less winter hardy than gold fish, so not eating through the winter is harder on them. I try to feed mine , so they are strong and healthy enough to make it through the winter....plus I enjoy feeding them. I only feed mine once per day and not heavily.

Tula, Jun 3, 2015
    mtpond and sissy like this.
  10. sissy

ZmanArt007 Fish Keeper and Filmmaker

I buy the standard pet store koi food and mix it about 1:2 with a generic catfish food that I bought at the local feed and seed store. I've been told that this isn't recommended, but honestly they love it and it's food that's designed for growth in catfish so it makes them grow quick. One reason carp tend to taste bad is because they eat pretty much everything in the wild, and my thinking is that since this is fish food, its better than a lot of stuff they could eat. Sometimes I give them cat food or hermit crab food as a treat as well :D. They often get the lemon and lime slices from my parents' and my drinks (Of the alcoholic variety) as well as the occasional raspberry and strawberry from the plants around the house. I also give worms when I'm digging or landscaping.

ZmanArt007, Jun 3, 2015
    sissy likes this.
  11. sissy

sissy sissy

Yeh I feed a little over the winter also .Seems they eat everything in the pond and you see the liner after a couple of weeks .It is not because I am over stocked because i only have 16 fish to 5000 gallons .I don't like the sinking kind of food I used it once and what a mess my pond was from the uneaten stuff left on the bottom .I guess they get lazy during the summer months and just want what they are given .I only feed mine 3 or 4 times a week in the summer because they won't be hungry enough to clean there house .

sissy, Jun 3, 2015
  12. sissy

Mucky_Waters

Actually I've heard that carp taste pretty good, although I've never tried them myself, but perhaps you have?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    Mucky_Waters, Jun 3, 2015
  13. sissy

sissy sissy

They eat koi .I saw a place in NC that sells koi sushi .The sign was out by the road .

sissy, Jun 3, 2015
  14. sissy

Mucky_Waters

And how was it?

Mucky_Waters, Jun 3, 2015
  15. sissy

sissy sissy

not me ,I would never eat it .I just happened to notice the sign when I took my sister to get her cast put on .I had never been to that section of Reidsville NC before

sissy, Jun 3, 2015
  16. sissy

Dave 54

I think your not alone in doing this Tim @callingcolleen1 also feeds her koi nothing but dog food what makes you think we'd ban you :LOL:

Dave

Dave 54, Jun 3, 2015
  17. sissy

sissy sissy

It is terrible that you have to read the ingredients on all kinds of pet food .I know it took me awhile to find decent food for my dogs .They eat table food and since i don't use much processed or premade food it is healthy for them .They have grown up on fresh veggies .Now they are on this gmo stuff .

sissy, Jun 3, 2015
    C-Note likes this.
  18. sissy

Hi Dave, In another place and time, I mentioned feeding dog food to my fish to some folks, and I thought they were going to send the fish police for me.:jawdrop::D
    My post above was just a tongue-in-cheek description on how my gold fish responded to me feeding them. (The serious part of that post was the fish responding to any movement around the perimeter including heron. I didn't lose any, but the potential was certainly there.)This season they're more on their own and not so "needy", although they do still like the dog food. I think a carp (no matter how they're dressed,) is hard wired to scavenging, and in the end they help keep the pond clean, and the algae under control. We are establishing an artificial environment for these creatures for our pleasure, and my goal is to help mine feel as "at home" as possible. :)

Timothy, Jun 4, 2015
    HARO likes this.
  19. sissy

Dave 54

Tim I weould be the very first to agree that the koi is a bottom feeding scavenger , I wont go so far as to feed dog food to our koi but we did go one further and really looked into the issue of feeding koi an alternate and healthy alternative food .
    It took us over two years total but it was worth it in the end and we cae up with this :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/alternate-foods-for-koi.4/

I think you'll find weve covered every aspect of fpood and what it might mean to our koi i;e taste clour feel smell etc , however there is a thing your going to need tpo watch in our view and thats vitamins and or lack of them and their effects on our koi , so a diet of dog meat though nurishing in reality should be bolstered with propper pelleted food and alternate foods :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/lack-of-vitamins-and-their-effects-on-koi.1/

I hop you find the two articles interesting Tim and helps you find that middle way of feeding your koi

Dave

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    Dave 54, Jun 4, 2015
  20. sissy

Sissy, I'm sorry about the near-hijack here.

Dave, thank you for the links! They are very informative, and I can appreciate the enormous amount of research it took to glean all of the information provided. I understand your position and agree that the fish in our ponds are not just throw away commodities.
    I only have goldfish in my water feature that I caught in a local natural pond. Goldfish are not indigenous to our area, (how they got there is another story,) but they and their ancestors have survived heron, turtles, cormorants, freezes, and temperature extremes for thirty plus years. I started my "livestock program" with 17 fish from this pond, and they have done well. Several of the adults have been in my care for four years and have been outside year round. The hardiness has not been bred out of them, and although they are far from any prize winning fish, they do add color and interest to my small attempt at a peaceful environment. I'm just an amateur at this hobby, nature is doing the job and providing what is essential to their well-being, I'm just trying to provide the space for it to happen. (With an occasional treat of dog food on the side.:))
    Tim

Timothy, Jun 4, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question