Your Home

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Big Lou, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Big Lou

Big Lou

Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
    I think it would be nice to see photos of members homes. Soo many of you seem to have such glorious ponds so let's link them to your home.

Do you like this idea?

Big Lou, Oct 21, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Big Lou

Big Lou

I do.

Big Lou, Oct 21, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Big Lou

Neo Nick

I like the Idea also, I always wonder if people put this much time into their ponds what the rest of the house/yards look like also. I'll take some pictures later while my house is decked out for our Halloween party.

Neo, Oct 21, 2012
  4. Big Lou

capewind

I'm game, but my yard is a war zone. Im sure most know the story of the shoe maker's kids... he was so busy making everyone else's shoes, that his kids didnt have any? Hubby does landscape/landscape construction/house lifting/tree work, so our yard is always bit by bit with everythng always being a work in progress. Most of the backyard pics are construction pics from this spring forward, but it will give you an idea of the layout and goals... where you see the huge dirt area at the back of the house, that is where the big pond is going next spring... from the pond at the patio (4' above the yard grade) there will be a water fall, that turns to a river, wrapping around the boulders at the slider, leading to the big dirt area... oh, and the wall in the front yard is being changed to the same we are putting in out back... daughter hit it at the steps with her truck, and instead of fixing it, changing it LOL.

Attached Files:

capewind, Oct 21, 2012
  5. Big Lou

ididntdoit99 ididntdoit99

I have these on my computer from another thread. cant see the house (because I'm on it) but you can see the rest of the yard. Its pretty plain, my pond is really the start of my landscaping, hopefully next summer i'll get around to doing some more.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ididntdoit99, Oct 21, 2012
    Jennywren, Sunshine, j.w and 2 others like this.
  6. Big Lou

Big Lou

Wow! Beautiful home and property. I'll post ours today.

Big Lou, Oct 21, 2012
  7. Big Lou

capewind

Thank you! A lot of swet equity. The house was a total rebuild in 2008, and everyone in the house took part in the construction in one form or another. I drew the plans, hubby did all the site work, a friend poured the foundation and then only hired someone to frame it/get it tight to the weather, and we did EVERYTHING from there. Moved in in 2009... 2010 & 2011 were the front yard... this year and next is the backyard:)

Looking forward to seeing everyone else's.

capewind, Oct 21, 2012
    Big Lou likes this.
  8. Big Lou

fishin4cars True friends just call me Larkin Moderator

I like the idea, Actually last year one of the members did a tour of the yard that was cool. Got to see others homes and gardens. I enjoy these as you never know what might click a new idea from someone else's yard or home. Capewind, I love what ya'll have done to your home! I first was confused with the sidings then started looking at the elevation and re-read your post. I am now very thankful all my remodeling and add on's were the yard and outside buildings! Look's like ya'll have made a lot of prgress in such a short time! I have start to close to present in my showcase thread below. As soon as the patio is somewhat completed I'll be adding new pics to it and will post a few here.

fishin4cars, Oct 21, 2012
  9. Big Lou

Big Lou

Love your log home and spacious property. Hammond is such a nice area.

Big Lou, Oct 21, 2012
    fishin4cars likes this.
  10. Big Lou

capewind

I love going through everyone's pictures more than most would realize. I dont have much of an eye for landscaping (that's all hubby except for when I get him to break some rules) but one of my hobbies is drawing blue prints. I can be driving down the road and see a house I really like something on. It may be a basic house, or something fancy, doesnt matter, it is a line or pitch or ??? that caught my eye, and I'll grab a napkin from the glovebox and draw a quick elevation of what I liked, and then come home and draw a working set of plans that incorporates that feature. House and yard pictures turn me into a kid in a candy store LOL.

capewind, Oct 21, 2012
  11. Big Lou

capewind

Cant wait to see it! Such a beautiful setting, and all that open area is a blank canvas to do whatever you can imagine!

capewind, Oct 21, 2012
  12. Big Lou

fishin4cars True friends just call me Larkin Moderator

Thank you, We do like Hammond, been in the area for about 10 years now and we do enjoy it. Close to big city, in a small township setting but out in the country. Doesn't get much better, unless we were in the mountains! :)

fishin4cars, Oct 21, 2012
    Big Lou likes this.
  13. Big Lou

sissy sissy

Live in rural area so just a simple ranch home.Over 8 years of work and started with nothing but the house
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

sissy, Oct 21, 2012
  14. Big Lou

capewind

LOVE that farmers porch, and you werent kidding that the yard started with nothing. Doing a beautiful job, and just wait til those trees start to grow as well. Also love all the little people;-)

capewind, Oct 21, 2012
  15. Big Lou

Big Lou

Great homestead Sissy. I can tell there has been lots of work going on. Can't wait to see more as time goes by.

Big Lou, Oct 21, 2012
  16. Big Lou

Big Lou

Welcome to our home which we loving call "Burr Oak House"!

Our home is named for the majestic Texas Burr Oak in our front yard. Our home sites on what is termed a "zero clearance" lot. That means our property runs right up to the side of the neighbor’s house. This unique method provides maximum space from our mere 60' x 100' foot postage stamp sized corner lot. All homes in our small three street neighborhood have zero clearance lots. We have used just about every square of yard to create a nature filled oasis in this suburb of Dallas. Burr Oak house has about 1,964 square feet of living space plus two car garage. The cozy downstairs contains the living room, a small library, small dining area, galley kitchen, guest powder room and laundry room. Direct access to the garage through the laundry room is a great convenience. The larger upstairs contains our master bedroom suite separated by French doors from my study, a second roomy bedroom and open concept large third bedroom. There are two full bathrooms, one in our suite and one shared by the other two bedrooms. Almost immediately after moving into our newly build home some 19 years ago Cathy and I remodeled the interior from a typical sterile white contemporary look to a tasteful yet colorful interior reminiscent of a 1920's Louisiana country home. All woodwork including the kitchen cabinets and stairs are hand built. And yes, the wooden stairs do creak! :)

Our yard is full of trees. In the front yard there is the aforementioned large Texas Burr Oak, a rare one trunk pink Crepe Myrtle, four white Crepe Myrtles planted together to form a wonderful visual effect and the corner of the yard along with a smaller scale Houston Holly and two twin thorn less Hollies. Four colorful watermelon Crepe Myrtles run along the south of the house along with a blooming Desert Willow tree. A lovely white Dogwood and (I forget the name) Holly tree border the house in the north side narrow garden. The back yard contains my two beloved Louisiana Bald Cypress Trees and another white Crepe Myrtle. Of course there are various other plants in both the front sides and back.

As you exit our home through the dining area you cross a stone patio then step up on the covered main deck with outdoor dining table and chairs. This deck also has a traditional three person wood glider swing and blessed breeze producing ceiling fan with light. From the main deck you can walk around the small grass lawn and narrow north side garden or you can walk down the wooden walk way that leads you to either the driveway or to the smaller deck where you can sit in blissful peace beside the pond.

Big Lou, Oct 22, 2012
  17. Big Lou

Waterbug

Waterbug, Oct 22, 2012
    Jennywren, Sunshine and j.w like this.
  18. Big Lou

koiguy1969 GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!

koiguy1969, Oct 22, 2012
  19. Big Lou

CliffandJoann

Hey BigLou...seems like we have a lot in common. I very much
    like what you did to your house...We have a galley kitchen as well.
    Five years ago we remodeled our kitchen and breakfast room. Made all the cabinets ourselves
    as well as the breakfast room tables and two small chairs. We designed it all ourselves and
    just last winter I dreamed up two more cabs to make for the breakfast area.
    We taught ourselves woodworking (we make a lot of our furniture) upholstery (we reupholster
    our furniture frequently) We taught our selves drapery making and stained glass windows.
    Everything we do we dive in head first.

Two years ago our son called us and said they were tearing out the old oak wood kneelers
    in his church and they were dumping them....so we rode over and rescued a huge load of oak kneelers (some
    are quartersawn oak) we make tons of stuff with them.
    Michealangelo saw David inside a hunk of stone and started carving. :)
    I see a pile of wood and see a cabinet inside. :)

I know of two others that have ponds and both are people that like gardening and woodworking, go figure.
    BTW. our house is named Seven Oaks...our house number is Seven and we have seven oaks
    in the front yard.

How do you post thumbnails?

CliffandJoann, Oct 22, 2012
    capewind and Big Lou like this.
  20. Big Lou

capewind

Beautiful house and yard:) Ive never heard of zero clearance lots. So if your property line runs up to the neighbors, where does his go? What happens if you want to fence your yard for kids or pets? Also, thanks for the great description of the interior... my drafting brain has half the house laid out LOL.

capewind, Oct 22, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question