Your "priceless" story

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
This morning, I'm enjoying coffee on my deck, watching fish have their breakfast. My favorite time of day. I have a baby painted turtle (red slider, I think) that adopted my pond couple of weeks ago. He/she is hanging in the water primrose leaves/roots, safe distance from the koi and goldies eating food. So, knowing he likes the koi food (which is too big to swallow, but he does his best, bite it, spit it out, bite it again ...), I toss him just 3 pieces in and among the primrose, while the koi and goldies are busy 5' away. About 5 minutes later, one of my larger koi, about 10" long, slowly swims up under the turtle, comes out of the primrose roots and slowly ... and I mean really slowly .... swims straight to the turtle, who has a piece of food sticking out of his/her mouth .... the koi opens its mouth, and very gently takes the food away. Turtle didn't look alarmed or worried at all! Just kind of a , "Huh!" look. If only I had gotten that encounter on video! PRICELESS!!! :razz:
I'm sure others have similar stories of their fish, wildlife, animals, kids .... please share!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Earlier this spring someone here gave me a link for some leopard frogs, So for my birthday I treated myself to a half a dozen leopard frogs for my pond area. Earlier this week, I walked out to the back pond and discovered this little guy on one of the water lily leaves. After several years of wanting this kind of frog in my yard I finally have my first baby leopard frog. Priceless!

Attachments

• aleah michael weekend 067.JPG
    aleah michael weekend 067.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 268
  • aleah michael weekend 068.JPG
    aleah michael weekend 068.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 289

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had a small turtle years ago and the koi would pull him under until he give up the food he had .it was fun to watch

Reaction score
Country, That turtle and koi story is adorable :)

fishin, I love those zebra frogs, have they all stayed around?

We wrote several stories about our ponding adventures,
I'm trying to pick one for this thread.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Neat story Country, I do have a fondness for the little turtles and had them as kid.

Lucky you Larkin to get your prize froggie finally.............I'd settle for any kind for my pond right now. Still hoping the tads addy sent will mature into some frogs someday.

DrCase.......the poor little turtle, did he ever grow up big and give those koi a bit of their own trouble?

We had a racing pigeon w/ a band on it's leg land here one day and seemed as tho it had some trouble flying. Could fly but just not too far.
Each neighbor here at one time or the other tried to catch it but to no avail. This went on for a week or so. It would come and eat bird food just a couple feet off the ground that I had on a big board. You could get w/in a few feet of it and then it would fly a few feet and you could do this all day and never catch it.
One day hubby and I were packing buckets of excess sand and putting them in the bed of his truck to take back to the sand pile at the pit where we had gotten it from. When we arrived at the pit to dump the sand out, there in the back of the truck was the pigeon amongst the buckets. It had ridden there all the way to the pit. We dumped a bucket of sand and then were able to use hubby's shirt to throw over the bird cornered in the truck and put him in the bucket w/ the shirt over the top. That bird wanted help and it wanted to do it in it's own way. Telling us time to drive him to where he needed to go, I guess. Drove him to the wildlife rescue place. Lady there said she knew all about racing pigeons and could read the band and find out who's bird it was. She said it wasn't badly injured and they could fix it up and find his home or she would keep it herself. Everything seemed to come right together the way it was meant to be. Made me happy that day to finally be able to help that little fellow find his way to where he needed to be :)

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
Loving all the stories! Country, I heard the JAWS sound effect in my head as I read the koi "really slowly" approached the turtle. Glad he didn't end up as lunch. lol

Our dog, who has now gone on to doggy heaven, loved to "borrow" (cough, cough) things from our neighbors. We are all on multiple acreage so she had to roam a bit to do this. All of our neighbors loved her so they were never bothered by her visits and rarely noticed her taking things. One day she came back up our hill carrying a six pack of beer bottles. And they were full! lol! She brought home a rooster one day, too. Never did find out who it belonged to. And, no, she wasn't a St. Bernard. Her mom was full Akita but we never knew who was the father. If you ever see those Traveler insurance commercials with the dog who hides it's bone, then keeps digging it up only to hide it somewhere else - that's what she looked like, only she was about 100 lbs. And she did the same thing with her bones!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OMG, Pinion, I was LOL when I read about the FULL beer bottles, then a rooster! Was the rooster alive or dead? My Goldens were forever carrying things home from the neighbors, now the Bostons are carrying on her legacy. If they are missing a mitten, or sock, or show, or toy, I just tell them to come look in my garage on the shelf. That's where I put things as I find them. :) Yes, I thought this might be a fun post, so we'll see if others have cute stories. I did get a picture of the baby turtle tonight, trying to get all the food (I tried some freeze dried plankton, but the koi weren't too interested in it yet) before it got to the skimmer. It's hilarious, as he gets sucked in partway before getting himself back out twice. He's been caught in there before, many times when he first arrived, so evidently he knows how to stay out now.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pinon, did the beers make it back home? lol love that story! all of these are great! Thanks to all for posting

My yorkie is 5 pounds.

She and a buddy were found running in the arizona desert, by two people walking their rotts.
There are coyotes in arizona, lots, so these two people did their best to catch the yorkies. They managed to catch the one little girl, but missy was too fast. She ran. They finally gave up on trying.

They walked home, carrying the one little girl, figuring the other yorkie would never make it through the night. The next morning they heard a scratching noise on their door, when they opened it there was the other yorkie scratching the door to be let in. She either followed them all the way there, or followed the scent trail.

After attempting to find the owners, they brought them over to us, we already had 4 yorkies. The guy was doing some work for us. So now we had six.........lol

When my husband passed she spent a month guarding the door where he died.

Missy is my last little yorkie, her ability to sniff out scents is unreal, she would have made a wonderful drug dog.

She is my constant companion, always sits at the sunroom window watching me work in the yard. I just need to look up and see her sitting there.

DSC00598.JPGDSC01203.JPGDSC00493.JPGDSC01147.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Awww ... how adorable, and what a great story! Saved from the coyotes. And, what a faithful little girls she has become. Now, you need to not make her work so darn hard on that laptop that she falls asleep on top of it! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, if I have done things correctly, this should be the link to my "Baby Turtle vs. Skimmer" video.
And, just for good measure, here is a picture of most of my fish last night. Water is much clearer now, and they were all on the edge, trying to find some snibbets of food possibly leftover. And the red and white koi I zoomed in on at the end is the one that "kissed" the baby turtle to get his piece of food 2 days ago. :)
Enjoy! And, thanks, Addy, for teaching me about YouTube!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Awww ... how adorable, and what a great story! Saved from the coyotes. And, what a faithful little girls she has become. Now, you need to not make her work so darn hard on that laptop that she falls asleep on top of it! :)
She has been saved twice, once by those people, the second time she was fast enough to make it back to the house when the coyote took my other little girl. She is one fast little dog.
I have already warned my hubby that it won't be good when it is her turn to move on in life, my eyes tear just thinking of it happening..

country........you did great! how cute great videos

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
addy what a neat story about your doggies and I know how sad you will feel when the unhappy time comes. I lost my best friend several yrs ago and will never forget him. Still get tears thinking about him too. Just wonderful that your pup has had a nice life w/ you and glad she was saved from the coyotes.

Country love the little turtle video (you done good girl!). He was trying so hard to catch every little morsel of food plus stay out of the skimmer. So cute! And your fish are so pretty swimming around in their digs!

Now I will have to try to do a video. Yikes might take me awhile to figure this out, lol! Have an old video camera so bear w/ me.............whenever I get around to it that is, lol!

Reaction score
awww, your yorkie is so sweet...
I would love a little turtle and remember having
two when I was a little girl.

The ringing bell in the video reminded me several years back we has a bell
on a stick by the beach area of the pond. I put a string on it into the water,
when the koi tugged on the string the bell rang and I fed them. They quickly
caught on, and I soon had to remove the bell... really.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
awww, your yorkie is so sweet...
I would love a little turtle and remember having
two when I was a little girl.

The ringing bell in the video reminded me several years back we has a bell
on a stick by the beach area of the pond. I put a string on it into the water,
when the koi tugged on the string the bell rang and I fed them. They quickly
caught on, and I soon had to remove the bell... really.

lmao that would get "old" real soon, they learned real quick how to get that good stuff.

Come on jw! tapping foot, we are waiting!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok addy I just put the battery into the charger this minute. Be patient w/ me now :rolleyes:

Ask a Question