Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I seem to have a love hate relationship with the stuff because although it does do the job and is natural it does wreck some of the other mechanical filters and also if you have a smaller pond (500 gallons or less) it can tint your water a bit to a tan brown hue. What do you guys think though ?
By the way if I get really bad algae blooms I prefer to use Algaecure which is pond, fish and plant safe but does cost a bit more than barley.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just buy liquid barley with peat in it .I have barley straw but the liquid is much better and works faster .koi clay is the best and clouds up your water when you first put it in but clarifies it and is healthy for the fish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If someone could show me a definitive study on how the use of barley straw has a defined effect on pond water, then I would be all for it.
All I have come across though, are anecdotal recommendations where people swear that it has improved their water quality.
Being a natural product, I don't dissuade people from trying it. There are so many things constantly changing with regards to pond water chemistry, it's sometimes hard to pinpoint the cause of a noticeable change in appearance in pond water.

On the other hand, I sometimes put a banana in my ear because it keeps giraffes out of my yard. The proof that it works is that I have no giraffes in my yard.
(I'm joking of course;))

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep just like some post on here for weeks the water is dirty and green colored and then 1 day the wake up and it is crystal clear .Pond are a mystery and there are no real quick fixes .With my stock tanks i never worry I just add peat and barley and have tried clarifiers and flocculents just to see what happens and how long it works and how long it takes to start working and how long it lasts and the process .They all just have lava rock in crates with the same size pumps

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I just giggle when hear about people spending their hard earned money on these gimmicky retail pond products like barely straw and bottles of bacteria, etc. :D
Bottles of bacteria? I buy a bottle of a product that contains two algaecides but no "bacteria" so maybe you could explain what that is you are talking about because I don't recall anything like that and definitely would not buy it anyway cause my bio-filter introduces all the needed bacteria that are actually good for the ponds ecosystem. I also agree that barley straw is almost a waste of time but had to learn that the hard way.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I seem to have a love hate relationship with the stuff because although it does do the job and is natural it does wreck some of the other mechanical filters and also if you have a smaller pond (500 gallons or less) it can tint your water a bit to a tan brown hue. What do you guys think though ?
By the way if I get really bad algae blooms I prefer to use Algaecure which is pond, fish and plant safe but does cost a bit more than barley.
You've answered your own question, Marshall. In your case it's definitely a waste of money, since barley does absolutely nothing for algae blooms! It is SUPPOSED to prevent or reduce hair algae.
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think we all learn the hard way .I was testing products for the garden pond center here so the products i tried for them did not cost me a penny that is why i posted it here .All the products they gave me some worked some didn't and some worked for a couple of weeks to a month .But koi clay was the best of all ,i add it to my fish food and i add it to my pond .It clouds the water for a couple of hours but clears the water up and really makes the colors of the fish more intense.They were all used in my stock tanks

Attachments

• pond supplies and black elephant ear flower 2015 001.JPG
    pond supplies and black elephant ear flower 2015 001.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 248
  • pond supplies and black elephant ear flower 2015 004.JPG
    pond supplies and black elephant ear flower 2015 004.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 230
  • pond supplies and black elephant ear flower 2015 006.JPG
    pond supplies and black elephant ear flower 2015 006.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 268

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
You've answered your own question, Marshall. In your case it's definitely a waste of money, since barley does absolutely nothing for algae blooms! It is SUPPOSED to prevent or reduce hair algae.
John
How can I answer my own question? The post was about and named about the question of "what do you guys (forum users) think about the stuff?" I just shared my views but wanted to see what others thought.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I tried it and and it even started to grow ,but it was just a slimy mess.I know farm ponds here still add bales of barley to there farm ponds .The you never know in ponding .Some people like it and say it works and others say it does not work and others are on the fence about it .Sometimes we win sometimes we loose and believe me I have lost a lot when it comes to figuring out my pond .I let it tell me what to do .I wish the fish could talk and tell me what to do and when to do it .:);)
Bottles of bacteria? I buy a bottle of a product that contains two algaecides but no "bacteria" so maybe you could explain what that is you are talking about because I don't recall anything like that and definitely would not buy it anyway cause my bio-filter introduces all the needed bacteria that are actually good for the ponds ecosystem. I also agree that barley straw is almost a waste of time but had to learn that the hard way.
I think haro was talking about the end of your statement .

Reaction score
Actually you got that backwards. Your bio-filter doesn't introduce bacteria to your pond, the bacteria, that is omnipresent pretty much everywhere on our planet, colonizes in your bio-filter, and on every other surface in your pond.
Bottled "bacteria?" is product sold to the naive which is a bottle that is suppose to contain viable nitrifying bacteria to help colonize your bio-filter. Problem is it is sold in an air tight container, and generally sits on a self in a store somewhere until somebody buys it, and as most people are aware nitrifying bacteria needs a constant supply of oxygen to survive. On a warm day you could wipe out the bacteria colony in your bio-filter just by turning off the water circulation for a 24 hour period, how much less likely would it be for the bacteria to survive in a seal container sitting on a shelf for months at room temperature. Sure some bacteria could survive in a dormant state in that bottle, but we are literally living in a bacteria soup that is teaming with bacteria, living and dormant. Adding a bottle containing deeply dormant bacteria to your pond water would be like shaking a salt shaker on the beach in hopes of making the ocean saltier.
Of course the ponding hobby is not the only place this scam has gone on. They also sell supposed bacteria for your septic system, and compost, both of which are also useless products that are totally unnecessary, and yet there are companies out there that make millions on these products, and those that will argue to their graves that these products actually work.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Actually you got that backwards. Your bio-filter doesn't introduce bacteria to your pond, the bacteria, that is omnipresent pretty much everywhere on our planet, colonizes in your bio-filter, and on every other surface in your pond.
Bottled "bacteria?" is product sold to the naive which is a bottle that is suppose to contain viable nitrifying bacteria to help colonize your bio-filter. Problem is it is sold in an air tight container, and generally sits on a self in a store somewhere until somebody buys it, and as most people are aware nitrifying bacteria needs a constant supply of oxygen to survive. On a warm day you could wipe out the bacteria colony in your bio-filter just by turning off the water circulation for a 24 hour period, how much less likely would it be for the bacteria to survive in a seal container sitting on a shelf for months at room temperature. Sure some bacteria could survive in a dormant state in that bottle, but we are literally living in a bacteria soup that is teaming with bacteria, living and dormant. Adding a bottle containing deeply dormant bacteria to your pond water would be like shaking a salt shaker on the beach in hopes of making the ocean saltier.
Of course the ponding hobby is not the only place this scam has gone on. They also sell supposed bacteria for your septic system, and compost, both of which are also useless products that are totally unnecessary, and yet there are companies out there that make millions on these products, and those that will argue to their graves that these products actually work.
Thank you for explaining your statement and I agree 100% that bacteria in a bottle is a bit of a stretch on the rules of nature and kinda reminds me of homeopathic "medicine" lol. And by "introduce" bacteria in my bio-filter I meant that it harvests the good ones and then allows them to thrive therefore introducing a healthy colony into my ponds ecosystem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
With our recent snowfall, when I went out to my pond the next day, the water was crystal clear. I could see right down to the 5 foot bottom.
The most I've been able to see all summer is maybe 2 feet of water depth.
Does that mean that snow cleared the pond water? - No.

I think the same thing is happening with barley straw
The straw has something to do with it, but the addition of straw is not the whole story.

Ask a Question