Your thoughts on the use of Flocculents

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
The short story is that my twin, above ground ponds have been uninhabited except by mosquito guppies and ignored since my last back surgery a few months ago.
The tree next to them has dumped leaves in. I've cut down the tree. Removed almost all of the leaves and drained most of the water through a screen to save the guppies.
I've rebuilt the filters and replaced a lot of the other maintenance, plumbing and electrical items I've neglected and I'm left with suspended silt that kicks back up every time I move anything. Even though I've removed almost all of the debris.
Is this product as safe as it claims?
I'm prepared to replace my fine filter pads repeatedly. I just want my clear water back and I've never used a pond clarifier before

Attachments

• 20220227_211726.jpg
    20220227_211726.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There's a big discussion going on in another thread about quilt batting. I imagine that would would solve your silty water problem. I've never used a flocculent, but my understanding is that they bind the small particles together in way that causes them to sink. So, I don't think your filter system plays much of a role when a flocculant is used.

Also not sure what happens when you disturbed the bound particles later, which seems like the problem you're describing—water becomes cloudy when you disturb it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What is in that product? Personally, I would like to know what the ingredients are before I added anything to the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
From what I understand, the purpose of a flocculant is to bind the tiny particles together in order to make them large enough so your mechanical filter will be able to remove them. Although, yes, I'm sure that it also causes some of it to settle out, so (in theory) it wouldn't solve the problem.

I did, years ago, try using a flocculant to help with a 'fines' problem and, quite honestly, saw absolutely NO improvement or discernable difference in the water clarity. I think you'll get more of what you're looking for by using the 'stir it up & send it through quilt batting' method. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Koi clay acts as a flocculent and is safe and even healthy for your fish. We use it all the time. It may be purely my imagination but I feel it adds a certain sparkle to the water.

(P.S. See the other thread @combatwombat referenced to see the rest of the story.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tried gypsum in my pond once when it was new and a big rain washed red mud into the pond. It was also supposed to bind particles to help filter them out.

It didn't do any harm, but it did no good either. Had to almost completely drain the pond, do a lot of vacuuming, and refill it to get all the mud out.

Needless to say, fixing that drainage problem became a major priority.

I would definitely try the quilt batting first, before adding anything to the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use koi clay also as it adds minerals also for the fish . Makes a great facial mask also . Try it . Some people even swear it helps your digestion. I buy it medical grade or for humane consumption only . Yes lisak it sure does make the water sparkle .I have used it since 2007 . ebay always has it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There's a big discussion going on in another thread about quilt batting. I imagine that would would solve your silty water problem
The quilt will help in a major way in removing floating particles in the water column but it also demands the batting be replaced regularly. it could be in a couple hours it could be in a couple days . but it is a quick easy fine filter.

An other product i have used and again any water additive to clear up a pond is not magic and from what i have seen most are not worth the money. however products like NUALGI which is a host of microorganisms that feed on algaes and decaying foods. they are not magic either but i can see them working when the pond had issues when it was young. Most of the bacterias and such are a booster to your existing and little more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Quilt batting works but it's a serious PITA. You have to change it constantly. It does pull lots of stuff out. I like: Milk Crate + Spare Pump + Return pip outside the crate + Batting - just drop it in the pond and replace it 1-2 times a day, as needed. It absolutely clearns things out.

I used a flocculant for the first time today. Did it work? Absolutely. The crap all got filtered out, much of it within hours (my pumps turn over the water multiple times/hour). I then proceeded to open bog clean outs and pump the sponge clean in my Oase 1600. It pulled the crap out fast.

Is it worthwhile? It's a pretty expensive quick fix. But I was excited to see my fish again with more clarity today. Your mileage may very.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
24 hours after use of flocculent my water has never been so clear. It says to treat weekly, which I will until the bottle is used up.

Long term, I’m adding higher density filtration, because I’d rather not depend on chemicals for this.

But wow did it make a huge difference.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You don't have to use chemical flocculants - we use koi clay when we feel like the water is getting a bit "floaty". Completely natural, inexpensive, easy to use, and supposedly good for the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I am intrigued by Koi Clay. I am thinking more filtering, more activated carbon, and koi clay might all be solutions? I would prefer a mineral solution than a chemical flocculent.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We use koi clay 2 or 3 times in spring. Not a scientific result, but I always feel like the water has more clarity, more "sparkle" after using it. An the fish do appear to love it. You can use it to coat their food to add it as a supplement to their diets. I've never done that, but we occasionally do make "koi clay balls" and drop them in the pond - they are quite entertained by them!

Ask a Question