Zero experience, planning a small pond this summer!

rintintin

Erin
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to build a pond this summer. It was my idea, but my Husband is on board to supply the labor :idea: I've been doing a lot of research and I know forums can be very valuable resources, so I found this one!

It started as a little tinge of wishful thinking when I came across a pre-formed pond kit online. It was 65 gallons and I thought, wow, that would be so cool....

Then I started reading and in less then a week I know that we want our pond to be about 8'x6' with a depth of 2'-3'. :idea: It's a little more then 65gal:redface:

So, here I am... nice to meet y'all!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you live in michigan you may want to go deeper and welcome to our world as you will never stop after you start LOL

rintintin

Erin
Reaction score
sissy said:
If you live in michigan you may want to go deeper and welcome to our world as you will never stop after you start LOL

What I would like to do, and what is practical for my situation and budget are 2 different things. :idea: but I hear ya. Im only planning on goldfish and maybe some smaller species. I live in the city so space is limited and regulations are not fun! We are also about to start a family so 4 ft is just too deep for us. It will be in an enclosed part of our yard, but I just don't want it that deep for liability purposes as well. It would be considered a pool at that point. I know many people with much smaller ponds whose fish have survived winter around here... we will see how it goes :idea:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well you could buy a heater and that would help not so expensive and I can understand your concerns with children water is a real draw I know I just got heater 750 watts and it was less than 30 dollars at pet mountain .

rintintin

Erin
Reaction score
sissy said:
Well you could buy a heater and that would help not so expensive and I can understand your concerns with children water is a real draw I know I just got heater 750 watts and it was less than 30 dollars at pet mountain .

Cool, that seems like a good price. I will definatly figure something out, haven't put too much thought into it because I'm still learning about all the necessary, different equipment... that has a lot to do with why I joined, I want to see some reviews on different components/brands. :idea:

Reaction score
Welcome!

Do you want something simple, inexpensive, and almost foolproof? Then consider this. I wanted to use one of these, but i didn't have the space. I would set it about a foot into the ground. In ground for temperature moderation and a foot above to prevent runoff water from contaminating the pond. I would surround it with "garden wall blocks," but you can put anything around it since it is completely self-supporting and very strong.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well good luck and you will find lots of info here to help you with your coming addiction to ponding LOL

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome!
WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

Enjoy the experience of pond building

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeani8.gif
rintintin
Gosh I remember that tv show from when I was a kid.........loved it :lol:

rintintin

Erin
Reaction score
j.w said:
welcomeani8.gif
rintintin
Gosh I remember that tv show from when I was a kid.........loved it :lol:

I love it, and we have a GSD... we just love the breed... but it's really just a silly nick name since my name it Erin and I'm such an animal lover. :)

Ask a Question