zinc coated stock tank

Reaction score
I'm new to this pond forum, But I have a oval stock tank that I want to put some gold fish in, I have ordered a pump filter combo, and will also put some river rocks in the bottom, anything else I need to get, or know ?

Attachments

• stock tank.jpg
    stock tank.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 401

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! And I agree with Dieselplower -- skip the rocks. They tend to collect debris and make it harder to keep the bottom clean.

How many gallons does the tank hold?

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome aboard, LLeonardt. I'd find a nice shady place to enjoy your tank pond. The sun could heat up that metal tank and promote excessive algae blooms. Just a thought: Why not dig a hole and at least partially bury that tank? It's galvanized, so it wouldn't rust, it may stay a tad cooler buried a ways and I think it would look more like a pond and less like a tank. You could even border it with rocks or plants. Just an idea...good luck. (y)

Reaction score
Ok, the tank was filled up last weekend, and installed my pump and filter, but the water is not clear, it looks milky. Do I need to seal the inside of this tank, and if so with what ?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can spray the inside of that tank with the leak sealant spray .The metal from the tank could be reacting against stuff in your water .i used to get that at my house in NJ .You can add additives to the water .

Reaction score
No fish yet, I was thinking about putting some feeder fish in it this weekend to see want happens.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
do you have city water or well water and do you have a liquid test kit so you will know when to add fish

Reaction score
We have city water, it's been in the for over a week, is should be ok. But I will get e test kit this weekend.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Water takes at least a month to settle because of all the stuff they put in city water .You usually have to treat it and it could be reacting against the metal

Ask a Question