Zinc Coated Stock tanks Fish Safe ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did a search here and only came up with 1 thread, the question was never really answered. I have a plastic performed that is leaking. When I read reviews of rubbermaid stock tanks I was disappointed to find many crack and leak. The galvanized steel with zinc coating seems to hold up much longer. Somewhere in back of my mind is zinc is toxic to fish, yes or no Thanks

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Before I bought my present pond, I was thinking of using a zinc coated stock tank. In fact, I did a lot of searching and reading about people who have used them. In all of this, I did not come across anything that indicated zinc coating was harmful to the fish. If I wind up keeping my fish in a stock tank for the winter, I plan to use a zinc coated one since I, too, have read over and over about the problems with Rubbermaid ones cracking. BTW...one thing with a zinc coated tank; don't go cheap; get a quality brand. I have read about some of the cheaper ones with thin zinc coatings that people complained of rust after a few years.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have had the rubbermade ones for years now and also have tuff stuff .Which I like better because they have straight sides
100_6975.JPG
100_8589.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Let us know what you decide and how it goes. My son put together a water garden with tiny goldfish in a galvanized tub. It was really nice looking and the plants did well. Water was treated and allowed to circulate a long time before adding fish. Sadly, the fish died - as I recall, within 24 hours. We tried it again -- same thing. Then I read an article saying the metals used in the galvanizing process are neurotoxins.
Certainly, we could have just had sick fish. Or there could have been other problems we weren't aware of. But I wanted to share our story, just in case it helps stack the deck one way or the other.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could put a tank in the metal one if you want that look .My sister did it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not the look I care about, more the above ground. That will make it harder for my dogs to jump in. I live in city with houses right next to mine,yet have no curtains or shades for privacy thanks to my dogs. Any window treatments end up torn down and on floor. Things we put up with for our 4 legged family.

Ask a Question