Zone 3/4 dense shade plants????

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 4
I've been struggling for years with my dense shade and rabbits to find plants for in and around the falls, stream that feed the pond. This is a few of years old but, the bush on the left is a 12' pussy willow, the trunk is from a 25-30' ash tree, the maple leaves on the right side are from a 30'+ maple that grows into the ash. To complicate things the boards below the railing are a lower ground level deck which is a rabbit haven.

I have lots of hostas in the rest of the yard that mostly get left alone by the rabbits but being so close to where they live under the deck they eat any hostas that I plant here. I have some bungle weed on the rock edges that is slowly spreading and the rabbits leave it alone and some moss on the wet rocks. The creeping jennny in the upper right is gone now as the shade is too dense now. I have had a marsh marsh marigold survive for a couple of seasons in the stream but didn't grow.

Any suggestions for rabbit resistant zone 3/4 water plants or zone 4 ground cover that will grow in this dense shade. My goal is to get more of the rock covered from inside and out to make it look more natural.
thanks

stream.jpg

Ask a Question