Zone 5 frog plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hello

I live in USDA climate zone 5, and I am building a medium wildlife pond this spring. I was wondering if anyone knew of any plants that would act as a good place for amphibians to lay eggs (I’m hoping to attract small frogs, toads, and salamanders).

Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Frogs and toads only need water, they lay anywhere. I have them drop eggs in the bog, in the small fishless ponds, in the stream ponds. All with different plants in them. They don't seem to care as long as it is water.

Salamanders, no clue.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pretty much any plant species will do. Tree frogs tend to like thicker planted areas to hide in while they're calling. I'd recommend adding sedges.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol our tree frogs don't seem to care about anything but water. I already have a mass of eggs, heard some calling a week or so ago, saw the eggs yesterday.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Frogs and toads only need water, they lay anywhere. I have them drop eggs in the bog, in the small fishless ponds, in the stream ponds. All with different plants in them. They don't seem to care as long as it is water.

Salamanders, no clue.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It only has to be green , then again or brown , then again it could be hair algae, Oh heck it only has to be wet and calm.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Ponds are inundated with toads. I had to get 8 out of the skimmer Sunday morning. Toads and tree frogs usually lay eggs in the stand of pickerel rush, but that hasn’t started to grow much yet. So apparently the skimmer box is the new toad motel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
sounds like an extensive set up anon but you don't have any photos to share?
Nothing is built right now, but I like to be prepared. I would hate to go to a pond or garden store, and then have someone who knows nothing about ponds to give me something that will die or be useless!

Ask a Question