Zone 5

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Anon, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Anon

Anon

Does anyone know of any zone 5 plants that would be good for amphibians? I would like to promote egg laying, but I can’t find any information on zone 5 marginals. I also don’t have any pond stores near my house.

Thanks!

Anon, Jan 14, 2018
    JBtheExplorer likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Anon

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

addy1, Jan 14, 2018
    Anon and MoonShadows like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Anon

JBtheExplorer Native Gardener

Any time I see amphibian eggs in the wild, they're usually in areas of sedges or other thick-growing plants, likely as a way to protect them from fish. I grow Smooth Black Sedge in my pond. Haven't had any amphibian eggs in it, but it does look great all season long and can fill in quickly.

JBtheExplorer, Jan 14, 2018
  4. Anon

zeuspaul

What kind of frogs do you have? I assume you are referring to native frogs? The native frogs that come to my ponds are Baja California tree frogs. They are small, about 1 1/2 inches. I usually find the eggs in shallow water on small branches or twigs or anything that floats in the water. They also show up in any saucer or bowl left outside that collects water. My challenge isn't the eggs, it is providing habitat for the young frogs and adults.

zeuspaul, Jan 14, 2018
    Anon likes this.
  5. Anon

Anon

I have leopard, bull, green, and green tree frogs. I also want to attract Eastern toads, sported salamanders, and tiger salamanders.

Anon, Jan 14, 2018
  6. Anon

zeuspaul

That sounds like a challenging project. What size is the pond? You are going to need a lot of plants, rocks, logs and various places to hide in and out of the pond.

The bullfrogs may present a problem. They will probably snack on the tree frogs.

zeuspaul, Jan 17, 2018
  7. Anon

Anon

Ok, I’ll try to keep the bull frogs away. The pond is an irregular oval shape that is around 4x2.5

Anon, Jan 20, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question