Zone 5

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Does anyone know of any zone 5 plants that would be good for amphibians? I would like to promote egg laying, but I can’t find any information on zone 5 marginals. I also don’t have any pond stores near my house.

Thanks!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Does anyone know of any zone 5 plants that would be good for amphibians? I would like to promote egg laying, but I can’t find any information on zone 5 marginals. I also don’t have any pond stores near my house.

Thanks!

Any time I see amphibian eggs in the wild, they're usually in areas of sedges or other thick-growing plants, likely as a way to protect them from fish. I grow Smooth Black Sedge in my pond. Haven't had any amphibian eggs in it, but it does look great all season long and can fill in quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
What kind of frogs do you have? I assume you are referring to native frogs? The native frogs that come to my ponds are Baja California tree frogs. They are small, about 1 1/2 inches. I usually find the eggs in shallow water on small branches or twigs or anything that floats in the water. They also show up in any saucer or bowl left outside that collects water. My challenge isn't the eggs, it is providing habitat for the young frogs and adults.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
What kind of frogs do you have? I assume you are referring to native frogs? The native frogs that come to my ponds are Baja California tree frogs. They are small, about 1 1/2 inches. I usually find the eggs in shallow water on small branches or twigs or anything that floats in the water. They also show up in any saucer or bowl left outside that collects water. My challenge isn't the eggs, it is providing habitat for the young frogs and adults.
I have leopard, bull, green, and green tree frogs. I also want to attract Eastern toads, sported salamanders, and tiger salamanders.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have leopard, bull, green, and green tree frogs. I also want to attract Eastern toads, sported salamanders, and tiger salamanders.

That sounds like a challenging project. What size is the pond? You are going to need a lot of plants, rocks, logs and various places to hide in and out of the pond.

The bullfrogs may present a problem. They will probably snack on the tree frogs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
That sounds like a challenging project. What size is the pond? You are going to need a lot of plants, rocks, logs and various places to hide in and out of the pond.

The bullfrogs may present a problem. They will probably snack on the tree frogs.
Ok, I’ll try to keep the bull frogs away. The pond is an irregular oval shape that is around 4x2.5

Ask a Question