1000 Gallons of Ear Wax ?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
It sure looks like this tank used to hold EW. This wax is used in road construction to seal moisture into concrete highways will they cure. As far as anyone can tell it does not bother the fish.

I scored a 1000g round tank last summer but up to now I had no use for it. That has changed. I have moved all the fish into the lift system and need to do a water change as the ammonia level has exceeded 1 PPM. I was hoping the green water in conjunction to the barrel filter would handle it. It might have had I not feed them so I could look at them while they ate. I am weak.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2991]

So we cut the top off the round tank. I would liked to have left the top on but there was no way to clean the wax out. Maybe you will enjoy these pictures.

I made a jig to mark the cut line and my wife cut the top off
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2989]

Cleaning the wax out. There was at least 5 gallons of the stuff.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2988]

Filling with water. The 1 inch white pipe is air.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2990]

With luck tomorrow I will have declorinated, degassed, and temperature matched water

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good job to your wife on cutting and cleaning it out. So now the fish go in there right or is it going to be some kind of a filter?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
She does good work.

The immediate need is to season water so I can do a water change on the lift/cube setup. Trouble is I had planned to cull a lot of these fish but we are both soft touches. It is more then the filter can handle. I need to see if it will catch up in the next few days.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ahhhhhhhh, that's a good thing HTH, softies are better than hardies :cheerful:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 1,000 gallon circular tank have you thought about having it free standing with wooden frame work then clad in wood
Everything is then insulated against the worst of the weather you'll need a substancial pump and filter but they are quite an effective pond you'll need a bottom drain leading to your filtration system of 4" pipe coming back into the pond through a 2" via an iline pump and U/V-C

rgrds

Dave

image_8L.jpg IM000058.JPG

image_7L.jpg completed side pathway.jpg

image_3.jpg IM000058.JPG

image_4.jpg IM000025.JPG

image_2.jpg IM000026.JPG

SDC10367.jpg

Attachments

• SDC10368.jpg
    SDC10368.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 345
  • IM000039.JPG
    IM000039.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 354

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put my 1000 gallon into the ground, totally insulated by dirt. The babied in the house shubunkins are in it.

Water from the big pond circulates through the tank, keeps it crystal clear. Covered with apple blossoms right now.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas and they are both great. For now I want to leave it as is ready to stand in as needed.

It may eventually end up doing duty as a quarenteen tank. The shop lot is on the other side of the street and setting it up over there would be a good way to physically isolate new arrivals.

I did spot a neglected rather large looking stock tank in my neighbors yard. I expect it leaks or may even be missing the bottom. But with a liner it might make a nice partly buried round goldfish pond.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in seeing how well PVC holds up to the sun look at the brown corrugated sheeting on the greenhouse in the first image on this thread. It was transparent a few years ago. I have even see the sun turn white PVC pip brown!

This AM the water in the 1000g is at 54 and the lifts read 57. Time to change water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
To late I know nut you could have cut the bottom off then turned the whole thing upside down and used the top for your bottom drain to the filters just a thought for the next one you get :bye2: lol

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It may only be a thousand gallons mine is the same exept in imperial gallons and 1,000 gallons is all we can fit and thats reclaiming what we have by use of a retaining wall.
They are quite impressive when set up especially free standing then built up around with a wooden surround our koi love it as do I for ease of cleaning .
Five years ago I was facing the end of our hobby as I simply couldnt maintain the tank due to Chronic Osteo Arthritis and Fybromyalgia, we'd decided to do it this way due to my disabilitys and the tank was kept spotlessly maintained for 22 years now its two slide valves a dechlorinator a hose and a pleasent afternoon by the pond in summer or indoors during winter water changes its extended the hobby for hopefully another 22 years for us .
We Brits simply dont have the land in the city to turn round in lol
Addy a question for you, what is that big black thing by the pond please ?

rgrds

Dave

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Dave we were maxed out on ponds in our big city backyard with well over 1/2 of our backyard under water. One of the attractions of moving here was a larger yard. And now that we own the shop across the street the plan is to garden over there and have the pond here with the house.

Best wishes regarding your health. Pain sucks but we will not go into that here.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Dave; since Addy hasn't replied I may as well tell you... that black thing is a statue of a bear trying to catch a fish.
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dave 54 said:
It may only be a thousand gallons mine is the same exept in imperial gallons and 1,000 gallons is all we can fit and thats reclaiming what we have by use of a retaining wall.
They are quite impressive when set up especially free standing then built up around with a wooden surround our koi love it as do I for ease of cleaning .
Five years ago I was facing the end of our hobby as I simply couldnt maintain the tank due to Chronic Osteo Arthritis and Fybromyalgia, we'd decided to do it this way due to my disabilitys and the tank was kept spotlessly maintained for 22 years now its two slide valves a dechlorinator a hose and a pleasent afternoon by the pond in summer or indoors during winter water changes its extended the hobby for hopefully another 22 years for us .
We Brits simply dont have the land in the city to turn round in lol
Addy a question for you, what is that big black thing by the pond please ?

rgrds

Dave
Sorry out of town putting tile in bathrooms, only on net in the evening, when relaxing.........................

It is a bear like haro says, not cheap bought from tosanco (something like that) I had to repaint it, the paint peeled, it was becoming a polar bear, ie white. It lived in the house for a year until I got it taken care of. A lot of money, beautiful garden statues, but did not last (at least mine did not) outside. Nothing I got from them lasted, all started peeling (made in china) It has two trout in its paws.

Ask a Question