Cant kick fungus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just looking for a little advice. I have a 600 gal ping with three koi that are pretty large. Over the winter they have developed some sort of fungus. I have treated them with a couple rounds of API pima fix. I have not been able to get rid of it. Looking for treatment suggestions.
Thanks so much

Attachments

• 91E97744-D5FD-4461-A58C-4420324DC6F4.jpeg
    91E97744-D5FD-4461-A58C-4420324DC6F4.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is usually a water quality issue. Your pond is not really big enough for koi.

Do you have liquid testing kits? Those will help with knowing the problem with you water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh my word, I have no idea what I was thinking about…my pond is just about 1000 gallon.
Sorry. Anyway, I have test strips and the water quality is spot on. And only one fish has it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh my word, I have no idea what I was thinking about…my pond is just about 1000 gallon.
Sorry. Anyway, I have test strips and the water quality is spot on. And only one fish has it.
Test strips really aren't the greatest. Maybe get a liquid test kit from API. Then tell us what each of your test results say. They make GH and KH tests etc. too but you have to buy them separate I believe.
test kit.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
On this site, 1000 gallons is recommend for one koi only. Other sites may say that 500 gallons per koi is necessary.

With enough filtration it's possible to have more than the recommended number of fish, but that can be risky.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting. My breeder is second generation and started in Japan before moving to our area. He said about 4 depending on how big I want them to get with my setup. I wonder if there is a difference based on climate or breeds?
Thanks for the input, I’ll definitely keep it in mind.

Ask a Question