Can't Source a Replacement Bulb for my Blagdon Inpond Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I posted recently because the light in my Blagdon Inpond 2000 filter/fountain unit was shining brightly, but the water wasn't clearing. From some comments here, I decided the first thing to do was replace the UV/light bulb.
.............Which has turned out to be much easier said than done. None of my local aquatic gardening stores have the bulbs. In fact, one has stopped stocking Blagdon altogether and one is winding down. I can't find anything online. I see that Blagdon has been swallowed by some vast megacorp (I think they're called "Inpet") which of course has no customer service phone line. I'm tearing my hair, because my poor little fish are blundering about in opaque water..

Is it possible to buy UVC units separately? Then I could just use the Inpond as a filter/fountain...

Anyone else had probs with supplies just drying up (so to speak)? I was told by staff at one local pond centre that I won't even be able to use a substitute, because each manufacturer's parts are cleverly designed not to be interchangeable.

The pond is a pre-formed 750L job. Established about 12 years, with plenty of oxygenators and around 15 small fish. (Apologies for the lack of photos, but I'm also struggling with a laptop which won't let me open or post my own pics! - Not that an image would help much in this case.)

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Sure, you could use a separate inline unit plumbed in: https://www.swelluk.com/pond/pond-filtration/pond-filters/pond-uv-clarifiers

Anyone else had probs with supplies just drying up (so to speak)? I was told by staff at one local pond centre that I won't even be able to use a substitute, because each manufacturer's parts are cleverly designed not to be interchangeable.
Yeah either that or the parts are so expensive, you are better off buying a new unit after accounting for wear and tear.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just curious, but do you test you water parameters?
Apologies, missed the notification for this.

Yes, I do. At the moment, they seem fine. But the new bulb hasn't cleared the water. So now it's on to researching how else to de-green. Suggestions welcome!

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Small bog next to the pond worked great for me.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Small bog next to the pond worked great for me.

Wow, that's interesting! Sadly, the edges of my pond are slightly raised, because it's a pre-formed job and I couldn't quite get it flush with the ground. But there might be options; maybe I could cut away part of the plastic mould... Thanks!

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Depending on your space and aesthetic, you could have a bog higher than your pond by using a separate container with a return over your pond edge.

Ask a Question