Do you test your water?

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Outstanding information, thank you for explaining in such detail.

Still not sure what any of that has to do with fish in a man made pond if the fish and plants are already healthy.

I have always liked to keep things simple and stick with the basics. I would like to say that I have never felt the need to fix something that isn't broke.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For me healthy is great but i want my koi to reach their full potential( red really red, blacks really black, whites really white plus growth at 30" +.
I also want my water so good that when fish get injured they heal without removing them from the pond,

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
DoDad said:
Total Dissolved Solids?
1. "Dissolved solids" refer to any minerals, salts, metals, cations or anions dissolved in water. This includes anything present in water other than the pure water (H20) molecule and suspended solids. (Suspended solids are any particles/substances that are neither dissolved nor settled in the water, such as wood pulp.)

2. In general, the total dissolved solids concentration is the sum of the cations (positively charged) and anions (negatively charged) ions in the water.

3. Parts per Million (ppm) is the weight-to-weight ratio of any ion to water.

4. TDS is based on the electrical conductivity (EC) of water. Pure H20 has virtually zero conductivity. Conductivity is usually about 100 times the total cations or anions expressed as equivalents. TDS is calculated by converting the EC by a factor of 0.5 to 1.0 times the EC, depending upon the levels. Typically, the higher the level of EC, the higher the conversion factor to determine the TDS

Again, the same conductivity meter that measures TDS also measures salinity. It is the exact same measurement but expressed in either % or ppt (parts per thousand).

At 1% salt content, the TDS meter should read 10,000 ppm.
Say you put 0.3% salt in the pond to help with whatever. Well, that would be a TDS reading of 3000 ppm. It won't kill the fish!
This is a good way to measure salinity of your pond or q-tank.

Great explanation!
You might want to share the brand name and cost of the instrument and if there are economy models that are reasonably accurate.

Ask a Question