Sealing a rubber liner for a stream

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are attempting create a meandering stream for our water feature. We are installing a rubber liner which will be cut to conform to the meanders of this 25 foot flowing stream. We will be making three rubber liner lengths to cover the 25 foot run of the stream. There will be only two overlaps. We will overlap the rubber liner approximately 1 foot. Do the seams need to be sealed? If so, will NP-1 work?

thank you

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What is the elevation difference between the head of the stream and its outlet? Unless you can create cascades/mini-falls at the points of overlap you will need to seam. The only product(s) that is absolutely guaranteed to work, if properly applied, is seam tape. I would recommend use of both the double-sided and the wide cover tape. Caulking, sealers, etc. will not provide the needed waterproof integrity that is needed.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My stream meanders down on our slope (85 feet) , it took a cut with each leg to make it down the slope. At each end of the stream leg liner I created small cascades for a gravity drop to the next piece of the stream. Some of the places I also dug in some nice ponds. then continued the stream on. Over lapped the liner by around 1 to 1.5 feet, used some tape, double side and seam tape to stick them together. Never had a leak at the seams, the only leaks I get is from the deer walking on the edges and pushing them down during the winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My stream is just overlapped about 1 1/2ft with no seal. My drop is about 4" at the seam. My stream is 19ft long. I have a couple good pictures of it in my showcase under the construction tab if you want to check it out. My elevation difference between the head of the stream and its outlet like Meyer mentions is about 8" over the 19ft. I also made deeper pool pockets so the stream kept getting wider. Mine starts at 22" and goes to 6ft wide. In the pictures my pond liner is not in yet, do not let that confuse you. I was testing out the stream first, I pulled the stream liner back and then installed the pond liner then reinstalled the stream liner.

Ask a Question