USDA 8a
Country
United States
4welcome.gif
@Mary00

Reaction score
Country
United States
A bog is not filled with dirt. Not a wetland filter anyways it's river rock in a pile with upflow . The water is not fast but slow to give the plants an oputunity to do their thing.

You can use plants in pots sure but to be in anyway to a wetland filter the plants need to be in gravel no soil . This makes the plants take nutrients from the water
I know it’s not filled with dirt, but dirt will accumulate in the rocks unless you have an elaborate(for me) or expensive system. Dirt accumulates in all ponds. And often the plants are planted in dirt as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes dust can blow into the pond and accumulate. But by dirt just so you know the material your looking at is dinitrous. Broken down fish waste and plant matter. Or what in the gardening world is called black gold.

Reaction score
Has anyone here built a bog filter without using the up flow piping system? E.g., only relied on flow from a stream or waterfall? I'm curious as to the difference in results from a "perfect" construction and a "meh" one.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My first bogs were waterfall stream flow.
The surface got full of debris, dust pond goop etc they routinely overflowed not going through the medium.

Mine here is basic, pvc, gravel, water, plants. Been working since 2010 with no clean out except excess plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our 2 year old bog is 18 inches deep with PVC manifold in bottom and gradient size stone from large to small on top. Underwater pump that hangs on side of 30,000 gal pond (old swimming pool) provides water circulation. Built up some areas and left depressed areas on rock surface so I could have plants that had different growing requirements. Gardening in the bog is a wonderful by-product. Right now my bog is full of frog eggs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not anti-bog at all. I’m just saying that in MY case all the work (heck, just THINKING about all the work!) I had to do to “do it right” was stealing all my joy. I was actually kind of frozen because I was overwhelmed by all the options. AND I had a shoestring budget and my mechanical expertise is ridiculously low. Plus, I don’t even own the property- so my pond is not a permanent construction. Also, I have too many other things going, haha. I’m enjoying my ponds thus far, as well as the goldfish, frogs, toads and other critters. It’s a work in progress, and a temporary one, and I’m content.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
did those early bogs "work," though (did they clean the water)?

(eta the one i just finished has the pvc underpipes, but no cleanout access)
No water would not flow through the gravel except a trickle

Just out over the top of the barrel.

Whiskey barrel x 3, each one water falled into the lower one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just finishing up the waterfall/stream. It was much more work than I had anticipated !

Anyway, at present I have no real filtration save the pond itself. However have only a few goldfish. I am considering adding a bog for even clearer water.

I have read many of the threads related to bog filters. In addition Nelson's Water Garden's has a nice write up on bog construction:
https://nelsonwatergardens.com/gravel-bog-filter-construction/

Seems like most advocate a depth of 12 inches. Others say go deeper. Much of the Everglades is bog and it is fore sure deeper than 12 inches ?

Some recommend water level just above gravel while some say water level just below gravel..

Most seem to advocate 3/8 pea gravel while others recommend a variety of substrate sizes.

Some say SLOW flow while others recommend rapid turnover.

I suppose we all have opinions like we all have certain parts of anatomy but any consensus here on my favorite forum?

In the end I suppose they will all work to some degree.

2 major questions if I do construct a bog:

1. I have several mesh bags full of bio balls. Any reason I cannot or should not lay them down below the gravel. They are paid for and just sitting in the garage.

2. Of greater concern I have read a couple of posts on other forums which claim a bog will for sure fail at some point. Here is a case in point:

WILL A BOG FAIL DOWN THE ROAD IF CLEANED OUT SAY ONCE A YEAR?

Lastly: What is the formula to calculate so called "dwell time" or should I just ignore this concept and have water flow through the bog and adjust as I see decline or improvement.

Thanks.

Ask a Question