Adding a different Fish to Koi Fishes

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Only ones I've ever seen were under 6", cool looking fish when young. The more I read though the more I decided against them. I hate to use up the room for three or four of those big guys when I could have three or four koi in there place. and I really feel like Koi will scavange the bottom just as good a a highfin will.

Reaction score
MikeBuyco said:
I'm not sure. I only notice it after it was dead. :)

Mike, you have a 80 gallon pond with no filter and 7 fish on it (mostly koi IIRC). Your fish are not just scared, they are dying. Adding more fish to "clean" the pond or to "calm" them will only accelerate the process, as any fish will contribute to ammonium production which will kill your fish. The only way they will get calm is by floating upside down, dead.

You need to give those fish a habitat they can survive in, and that means (ideally much) bigger pond and definately, sufficient filtration. Without both they will always be stressed and sick in their very short and miserable lives. Dont buy any other fish, start digging and building a skippy filter or similar. Meanwhile, do daily water changes of 10% or so, assuming your tap or well water is fish safe. Use dechlorinator if you fill with tapwater.

Reaction score
vertigo72 said:
Mike, you have a 80 gallon pond with no filter and 7 fish on it (mostly koi IIRC). Your fish are not just scared, they are dying. Adding more fish to "clean" the pond or to "calm" them will only accelerate the process, as any fish will contribute to ammonium production which will kill your fish. The only way they will get calm is by floating upside down, dead.

You need to give those fish a habitat they can survive in, and that means (ideally much) bigger pond and definately, sufficient filtration. Without both they will always be stressed and sick in their very short and miserable lives. Dont buy any other fish, start digging and building a skippy filter or similar. Meanwhile, do daily water changes of 10% or so, assuming your tap or well water is fish safe. Use dechlorinator if you fill with tapwater.

It's been a while since I posted. Thanks for the advice vertigo. I have a filter now since my last post. I'm not sure if I have about 80 gallons as I cannot exactly measure my pond. But my pond is surrounding a Virgin Mary Altar so it's more like C shape. The height is more than 1 feet. For the sides it's 1-2.5 feet X 5-6 feet I think. I'm planning to make the pond deeper. I do daily changes of water about 10-20% because when it gets hot, the water will be go down so I always add new water everyday. I have both filter and water pump.

Ask a Question