Aerator on a break

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It's not the stones @Meyer Jordan - we replace those twice a year. The air isn't coming out of the hose at the stone end at all - I tested by removing the stone and sticking the end in the water. Nothing.

@Tula - I did a little reading and it sounds like it just might be the diaphragm. They say it can appear the unit is pushing air, but as you get farther from the pump it doesn't have enough pressure to go through the hose and stone so it escapes back through the bad diaphragm. Unfortunately the replacement part is almost $30 on a $90 unit - I think it's time for a new aerator.
I replaced the two diaphragms on my Pond Master, before winter. My kit didn't cost that much and the aerator is only a couple years old, so it was worth it.

I think I'll look into a piston driven aerator, next time I have to replace one, as they're quiet and don't have a diaphragm to fail.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had one of those and the rubber thing went out on it and can't find the right sized one and it is only 4 years old .Piece of garbage thing

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
garbage it has a bladder that dries out in just 6 months from heat
100_9973 (1).JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think I'll look into a piston driven aerator

thanks for suggesting that - I'm going to look for one. We may replace the diaphragm on this one just to have a back up and then get a new one to use. It really stinks to have your equipment fail at all the worst times!

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
piston ones have a bladder that gives out ,it dries up and is noisy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Might be too obvious, but have you tried replacing the air lines? I had my pair of lines fail one winter and that was indeed the problem. An easy check if you haven't already bought a new one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
piston ones have a bladder that gives out ,it dries up and is noisy
Thanks Sissy, lots to think about. I knew piston driven pumps had pistons, but will look into "bladders".

I have 2 air pumps, a smaller Pond Master and larger Hakko, both are diaphragm....but each kind of noisey. I've read about Medo's being quiet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Might be too obvious, but have you tried replacing the air lines?

We have not - they are buried from the pump to the pond, a distance of about 8 to 10 feet, so we'll have to wait for a bit more warm weather to attempt that. Either way we're digging them up this spring because I've been wanting to replace them with weighted lines anyway.

Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
12 port! I love that idea! Off to check...
Hi lisa , check the watts on the old pump and buy same or higher watts, don't go for outlets , can be lower air pressure with more outlets while more powerful pump have one outlet can b deceiving , its measured from watts usually

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
With mine you can use all the outlets or none .Each has a turn off for it .uses 35 watts of power

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
DIY Pond Aeration: Improve Your Pond Water Quality (plus "Big Max" vs. Hiblow aerators) - YouTube

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Good gosh I would blow my fish out of the pond .He is right about the need for aeration .If I put the single weighted hose on mine it blows the water up to the bottom of my bridge and gets it wet .I used the soaker hose straight piece .All soaker hoses come with 1 end cap .Will have to try the circle instead

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I didn't run my larger air pump last summer, because the rubber membrane "wands" broke AGAIN.....and they're not cheap. I spoke with Matala today and think I'll try their 9 inch disk type diffuser, with my weighted hose this summer.

Ask a Question