Anyone know anything about a Siren?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
My neighbor came over last night with a critter similar to these. I've been able to identify it as a Siren. I've been doing some resarch about it. My camera is in the shop so I can't post actual pics of it but it's almost identical to the pics provided. This is what information I have found out about it.

Description: The greater siren is an aquatic species with a stout, eel-like body. Adults are usually gray or olive, with dark spots on the head, back, and sides. The sides are lighter in color, and have many faint greenish-yellow dashes and blotches. These salamanders have external gills with 3 gill slits. They have front limbs with 4 toes. The tail is compressed with a rounded tip. Greater sirens can range from 49 to 97 cm in length. The common name "greater" comes from the fact that the other species in the genus, the lesser siren (Siren intermedia) measures less than 2 feet in total length, in contrast to the greater sirens which can exceed 3 feet in length. It can be very difficult to distinguish small greater sirens from adult lesser sirens. Counting costal grooves, external grooves along the sides of the animal between the forelimbs and the vent, which correspond roughly to the number of ribs, is a good way to differentiate between the species. Greater sirens usually have more than 36 costal grooves whereas lesser sirens have less than 35 grooves.
Habitat/Range: Sirens are most commonly found in ditches, lakes, ponds and other slow-moving fresh water. This nocturnal species spends most of the day hidden under debris or rocks, burrowed in mud or thick vegation. Young are often seen amid water-hyacinth roots. In times of drought they aestivate in mud burrows. Their skin glands secrete a moisture-sealing cocoon over their entire body except the mouth. Greater sirens occur from southern Maryland in the Coastal Plain south through peninsular Florida and west to southern Alabama.
Diet: Sirens, like amphiumas, are effective predators of many small aquatic animals. They feed primarily on aquatic invertebrates, such as crustaceans and insect larvae. They also eat amphibian eggs and larvae, small fish, and may consume some aquatic plants.
Reproduction: Little research has been done regarding reproduction in the greater siren. Eggs are usually laid sometime during the months of February and March. The larvae hatch approximately two months later, in April or May. The newly hatched larvae are about16 mm long. Males apparently fertilize eggs as the females lay them, because no spermatophores are produced. Little is known about courtship and mating. Females lay 100 – 500 eggs singly or in small groups attached to leaf litter in shallow water.

Now my questions are, can it live in my pond without bothering my 4"+ fish. This guy is about 6"-7" long. What would you feed it in captivity? Is there a temp. range I should keep it at? right now we have it in the aquarium that the baby alligator snapper that country Escape was going to send me. Odd looking critter, it looks like a eel with legs! But doesn't look anything like a salamander. Very slimy, doesn't try to bite but it does seem to like snails. I put about 10 snails in the tank last night and I can only find two this morning. Any info. would be appreciated. This is the first alive one I've ever seen!

Attachments

• siren 1.jpg
    siren 1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 521
  • siren 2.jpg
    siren 2.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 572

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Found a reference in one of my books that says they eat "worms, snails, shrimp and FILAMENTOUS ALGAE"!!! You may be on to something! John

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
John, I've been reading a little more and saw that too, I actually think it's a lesser siren not a greater. He is eating snails! No doubt about it, I've got plenty of algae I can give him, been taking some here and there and feeding to my algae eaters I have in the goldfish tank and they love it, guess it can't hurt. It doesn't like light at all, I had a light on and it kept trying to get out, I turned the light out and gave it a cave and it's calmed way down and is more searching and smelling and not trying to get out as bad now. I'm going this afternoon and go get some wild mosquito fish or wild mollies to throw a few in and see what it does. at least now I have some idea of food items and a little more about setting it up a home, keep wondering if it would do ok in the pond, He's really a neat critter, But blind as a bat!

Reaction score
Sirens are known for being aggressive towards slow moving fish and may nip at large koi and eat goldfish or small koi. They also have a habit of escaping from tanks.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks JW, Neat read, I hadn't found that link and it was very interesting. I was thinking of putting it in my bog and it sounds like a good place for it except I'm worried it might escape into the koi pond. I don't think at this point it could eat anything in the pond as it's quite small and even my smallest koi are easily way bigger than it;s head and mouth. for now it's in a tank with about 6" of water and several caves, and some water lettuce and anachris. along with a few smooth rocks. i have a small intenal filter and a wire cover on the tank with a good size rock on it. (I've kept moray eels, and octupus when I had my salt tank so knew to prepare the tank to keep the chance of escape to a minimum.)

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If it would for sure stay in the bog, I would let it loose in there, but for now, I'm keeping it inside. It's cool, it came out twice today and took little pieces of worms from my fingers. I went and picked up a dozen ghost shrimp and put them in the tank. it hasn't gone after them yet but it's eating so I figure they can be scavangers until they become food..... I wouldn't want it to become food, and Lucky, Red, Tex, and Elvis could all probably eat it!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Prolly safer for him if you keep him in at least for awhile so you can study his habits, likes and dislikes. Get to know him real good, become good friends and bond, lol! What's his name?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
No name yet JW, I usually don't name pets like that right away. Until you know them and get attached. We have had the sulcatta tortoise now for about 5 weeks and he just got named Dozer about a week or so ago. Little guy thinks he can move anything! They siren is all curled up in the cave, When they say they are nocturnal they meant it! It stays all curled up during the day, but as soon as it starts getting dark it starts moving around and hunting. My catfish still move around during day and are nocturnal, this siren doesn't budge.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wonder why they call it a siren? I doubt if it screams..........would be cool if it did tho..........but might keep you up at night, lol!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Siren - a sea nymph (part woman and part bird) supposed to lure sailors to destruction on the rocks where the nymphs lived; "Odysseus ordered his crew to plug their ears so they would not hear the Siren's fatal song"

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
JW, I did read in that link you sent they do make a high pitch sound. HMMM? wonder if that;s where they came up with the name?

Ask a Question