Anyone use Nualgi in their pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I started using Nualgi last year. I like it. However, it's not a miracle cure. The pond still has to go through the balancing act. In my pond, that takes about a month in the spring. I do dose regularly at the beginning per the directions. Once it balances and is clear, I don't do it every week, but wouldn't see anything wrong with doing that. I like that it is such a small amount compared to previous products I have used. It's not cheap to buy a bottle, but I have a 4,000 gallon pond and I have had this bottle for 2 summers now. Getting down to the bottom of the bottle, but it only takes 1 tsp to dose my 4,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wonder about people who say they want a completely natural solution yet they put a pond where there wasn’t one, they fill it with water (likely treated with fluorides and chlorine), line the pond with rubber, filter through plastic filter media, etc. We had a pond of 5000 gallons with about 15 koi (10-18”) and tried everything under the sun for about 10 years with very mixed results and lots of work. Then we started dosing with nu Algi and used it for the last 5 years we had the pond (sold the home and moved). It was a miracle. Always crystal clear with health fish and plants. Unless your labor is 25 cents per hour, there is no cheaper or easier way to have a consistently beautiful pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought nualgi when the pond and i were just starting out. I could clearly see a change in the form of the algae after adding it to the pond. After an event i can't see the harm in reinstating the bio load with a fresh batch. Everything has its plus and minus side to them and if something puts stress on the pond i see no harm in seeding the pond with a fresh batch. But to rely on any product is a bandaid to a bigger fix that is probably n÷ded.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
i can't see the harm in reinstating the bio load with a fresh batch

Is that what Nu-algi is? Bacteria? I always wondered as I've heard it talked about here and there.

Old post alert! (Just so no on thinks I've lost it again!)

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I wonder about people who say they want a completely natural solution yet they put a pond where there wasn’t one, they fill it with water (likely treated with fluorides and chlorine), line the pond with rubber, filter through plastic filter media, etc. We had a pond of 5000 gallons with about 15 koi (10-18”) and tried everything under the sun for about 10 years with very mixed results and lots of work. Then we started dosing with nu Algi and used it for the last 5 years we had the pond (sold the home and moved). It was a miracle. Always crystal clear with health fish and plants. Unless your labor is 25 cents per hour, there is no cheaper or easier way to have a consistently beautiful pond.
Not that hard to have a natural solution to a man made pond, it’s called a bog and using plants for filtration. Been doing it this way for a loooong time in one form or another without any issues and much work on my part, other than pulling plants and enjoying the pond. Have yet in any pond I built to have an algae problem of any type, be it the green pea soup variety or hair alga.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is that what Nu-algi is? Bacteria? I always wondered as I've heard it talked about here and there.
Not bacteria but its diatoms i guess they are more like cousins to bacteria. Its actually positive algae that is microscopic that seeds its self on surface areas including blanket weed and out competes for the available nutrients its more like plants in a bottle youll never see but you will see a chAnge in the algae you do see.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nualgai however is not cheap i belive its 110 bucks for the size of a tall boy beer. Or a can and a half tall of soda

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nualgai however is not cheap i belive its 110 bucks for the size of a tall boy beer. Or a can and a half tall of soda
Dude…that size is for a 500,000 gallon pond !!!!
This stuff is incredibly cheap per gallon compared to any other pond additive.
Their customer service is top notch and they’ll help you figure out what’s going on with the water quality.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't get much silt or muck on the bottom of my pond and I have an lot of trees around. Maybe you need to slowly run a net along the bottom to remove debris before it breaks down into muck.

Be careful with those scrubbies. A while back it was reported that some of them contain chemicals that are bad for your pond.

Ask a Question