Bamboo

Reaction score
They don't do well in planters for long because their rhyzomes choke themselves out quickly.

Pecan,

I noticed that they seem to generally lay out the rhizome barrier in an elongated C shape with a pruning trench along one long side. I wonder, is that the reasoning for such a barrier design? To allow the rhizomes to grow out into an area where it is easier to prune them so that they don't choke themselves off.

My goal here, for my northern boundary, is to block the light from my neighbor's dusk to dawn lamp. I have had my property for 16 years and it has always been dark. I tried to convince the new neighboor to the north not to install a dusk to dawn light, unless it was on a switch. But he insists that his new (third) wife who is in her 50's is afraid of the dark. So now my entire lot is illuminated like a parking lot and I hate it as well as my northern neighbor. He cuts all the trees down, including mine, and he burns plastic trash which stinks up the whole area and he and she are just all around butt-heads! I wouldn't mind installing invasive bamboo with the rhizome barrier on my side and the pruning trench to their side and just letting it go wild until it chokes him out!

Hee Hee! I am such a stinker. :)

Unfortunately, I cannot do such things. It would be morally wrong and against my religious beliefs. Dang my conscience.

Too bad he isn't like my southern neighbor. We get along so well. We think alike and we work together to improve our properties for the benefit of both of us.

Gordy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Gordy,
Oh I wish I have a neighbor like you ;) unfortunately the one next to me is a rental and grad students live there, they have no control over the land. I just have to keep digging and pulling the new runners.

I'm glad to know that the bamboo grow a lot slower in the cold. Bamboo can be very pretty, I actually love them (had at the house where I grew up) but hate them when i have to deal with never ending problem of them :(

I think if I ever have bamboo i'll get the big round one so I can cut it to make fire woods / bamboo furniture and also make fences out of it when I need to. and I can eat the new shoots ;) But those can be way way tall too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Gordy that is one way I have heard of it being done. But I did my barrier completely around the bamboo grove and bolted it together with the bolts and bracket bamboo gardens sales just for that purpose. But I also do the pruning trench just inside the barrier to be safe.

To be honest though in my climate and most likely yours it would be years before you had a grove tall and thick enough for the privacy you want. My weeping willow has outgrown my bamboo 10 fold.

I planted mine in spring 2010 and think finally this year I might have the privacy I want from our neighbor.

Reaction score
Pecan,

Did you buy your barrier from Bamboo Gardens? Did you get the 60 mil or the 80 mil?

I really am not expecting them to grow really fast here, because of our climate. However, I expect that 8 - 12 years down the road they may be of respectable and acceptable height. If they were lucky enough to grow 2 foot per year, that would be 16 to 24 feet, but I won't count on that much growth every year so they may end up being 10 - 16 feet in that time and that would work.

Gordy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I did buy it from bamboo gardens, I went with 120' of 80 mil. left 2" above ground. I bought the bracket and bolts from them as well to connect the two ends together.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My goal here, for my northern boundary, is to block the light from my neighbor's dusk to dawn lamp. I have had my property for 16 years and it has always been dark. I tried to convince the new neighboor to the north not to install a dusk to dawn light, unless it was on a switch.

Gordy
Get a 22 and shoot the light out! Problem solved!:punch:

Ask a Question