Big open place on side of orange Koi

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_0001.jpeg
IMG_0011.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hard to tell from the photo but it sounds like an ulcer which is likely related to poor water conditions. How big is this pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
can also be from using chlorinated water and not using a dechlorinater

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hard to tell from the photo but it sounds like an ulcer which is likely related to poor water conditions. How big is this pond?
Small 700 gal have pump water running in continuously. I filter the water by pumping it to the waterfall and through a sponge type filter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Small 700 gal have pump water running in continuously. I filter the water by pumping it to the waterfall and through a sponge type filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have you tested the water. These type of problems are usually caused by poor water quality.

Please check the water with liquid type tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and KH and post the results here. That will give us an idea as to how your pond is doing.

To me, it doesn't seem like you have enough filtration for the fish load. Koi produce a great deal of waste and need A LOT of filtration, especially in such a small pond.

You can treat the would with iodine and/or triple antibiotic, but if the water isn't good, it won't do much good.

Always fix the water first.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you tested the water. These type of problems are usually caused by poor water quality.

Please check the water with liquid type tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and KH and post the results here. That will give us an idea as to how your pond is doing.

To me, it doesn't seem like you have enough filtration for the fish load. Koi produce a great deal of waste and need A LOT of filtration, especially in such a small pond.

You can treat the would with iodine and/or triple antibiotic, but if the water isn't good, it won't do much good.

Always fix the water first.
Thanks ? I’ll get some test and let you know. Could I change my filter from sponge to hay straw?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That won't work. Hay doesn't filter the water and it will break down and create even more pollution.

You need more filtration, 2 to 4 times or more for what is recommended for that sized pond. You can add an additional filter to the one you have, probably a larger one, or you can set up a bog. There are many, many types of filters, so research different filters and choose what works best for you.

Your pond is actually too small for koi. You might find it would be better to re-home the koi and get A FEW goldfish instead.

Sorry for the spelling mistakes in my first post. Wish my phone had a larger keyboard.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That won't work. Hay doesn't filter the water and it will break down and create even more pollution.

You need more filtration, 2 to 4 times or more for what is recommended for that sized pond. You can add an additional filter to the one you have, probably a larger one, or you can set up a bog. There are many, many types of filters, so research different filters and choose what works best for you.

Your pond is actually too small for koi. You might find it would be better to re-home the koi and get A FEW goldfish instead.

Sorry for the spelling mistakes in my first post. Wish my phone had a larger keyboard.
Let me do some research on a bog and filtration system. I’ve had these Koi for 10-12 years. This is the first I’ve had a problem. I flush the filters once a week or more. The water is crystal clear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Clear water has nothing to do with healthy water. You can't see ammonia or other toxins.

It is common that people who have had no problems for years suddenly have sick and dying fish. But fish get larger every year and we feed them more and they produce more and more waste products. Even their breathing creates ammonia. The larger they get, the more those things become an issue.

PH can also change over time and if the KH isn't kept at a good level, the pH can fluctuate, causing stress for the fish. It can also crash, going acidic, killing the beneficial bacteria and the fish

Test the water. Fix the water first and the fish can heal on it's own. Water tests are much cheaper and easier than adding filtration and it's possible that everything is fine and something else is causing this. But that's not usually the case, especially not with a small pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It is common that people who have had no problems for years suddenly have sick and dying fish. But fish get larger every year and we feed them more and they produce more and more waste products. Even their breathing creates ammonia. The larger they get, the more those things become an issue.
amen. amen. amen.

Too many times we hear exactly this.

Ask a Question