Building a large pond. Looking for input on filter/pump choices.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in the process of building a large to me pond. Its about 25'x25' and half of the pond is about 2' deep the other half is 4' deep. I have a water fall that starts as one and splits into two falls. It has about 40' of horizontal run and about 10' of vertical fall. I'm in the process of doing the liner and rocking it. I plan to have a light fish load and lots of plants as I want nice clear water.
Here is what I was thinking for my filter set up.
Big Bahama Pro 14" Skimmer
Atlantic filter falls Big Bahama Pro 38"
Atlantic Tidal Wave Pump L310 10,500GPH at 10' of head.
I would also have a large aerator.
Looking for input before I spend big bucks on this setup.

Reaction score
Country
United States
98BAA287-3F62-4EE5-B7AC-543B28B757F1.jpeg
D626B428-1FB6-4D15-B72C-D9518E47FAF5.jpeg

Reaction score
Wow that's a big pond! I'm new here so I hope you don't mind my input. I guess you're putting koi in there? Will the filter falls be the entire filtration? Do you know how much food the filter falls will process? I think my pond volume is less than yours and it has three 80 gallon containers full of filter media and two pressure filters and a 40 gallon container with bacteria house media. Of course I'm overstocked!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I built very similar including the two step wall to reach 6 feet deep and the 6 for wall. waterfall streams and BOGS THE pond build is in the link below this text the 12000 etc etc . theres also videos showing how clear the water is and it has only become better over time.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What Gbbudd said, check out his build, yours reminds me of it. Let Mother Nature do the work in balancing the pond, ie a bog/wetland filter.
My pond is a large roughly 10,000 gallons and has Aloooot of fish in it as well as turtles. Filter system consists of two skimmers with a net and filter mat feeding a waterfall box with nothing in it other than plants And a bog filter that I am currently redesigning. Have had no issues with the pond other than weeding out the plants And minimal filter pad maintenance. I designed the pond with planting beds scattered through out it as well, so none of my plants are in pots. Imo this lets the plants pull nutrients directly from the water column and grow/spread quicker, part of keeping the pond in balance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I wish I would have built a bog/wetland filter from the start instead of wasting my money over the years buying pressure filters, media, hardware, hoses, etc. Plus all the maintenance... constant dismantling to rinse off filter pads, fixing leaky hoses, pipes and with all that, still having murky water.

No more! I just started on the bog build. Looking forward to zero maintenance and clear water to see my fish.

You should seriously look into a bog. Especially since you're in the early building and planning stage of your project.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking forward to zero maintenance and clear water to see my fish.
I wouldnt day zero maintenance no weekly filter pad washings or back wash. I have to admit I'm always tinkering with my pond but I do love creating. then get to sit back with a cold one and chill watch the show that is never the same. Ducks stoped in twice last week a skunk and a wood chuck this past weekend "could do without those visitors" had a red tail , Maltese Falcon, Red Sholder hawk, and every small bird that visits the north east. Frogs toads tree frogs. These are just who I have seen and unfortunately I work a lot and dont get anywhere near what I would like in pond time. Shouldn't be too long before a snake comes by . it's all good

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Like John mentioned and one thing I didn't do is to make pockets under the liner let the liner fill them as a way to control the roots of some aggressive plants and or maybe clAy for lillies.. I know your probably itching to get water in but throw a tarp over the hole keep the water from softening your walls and speak your plan theres many good folks here with lots of combined experience and years of pounding.. sorry no specs on hope spelling etc isn't to bad

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all the input guys/gals! Fish wise as mentioned I will try my best to keep it lightly stocked (but I have to admit I'm not sure exactly what that means fish wise) I hope to throw guppies in there to control mosquitos. Other than that I was thinking 12-15 misc fish. A few Koi, a few goldfish and I would like to try out some tropical fish if my water does not get too cold for them.
GBBUDD- I made it through 20 pages of your thread so far. Amazing! After looking at that and a few other peoples bogs I will be adding on after the first phase of the pond is complete.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Like John mentioned and one thing I didn't do is to make pockets under the liner let the liner fill them as a way to control the roots of some aggressive plants and or maybe clAy for lillies.. I know your probably itching to get water in but throw a tarp over the hole keep the water from softening your walls and speak your plan theres many good folks here with lots of combined experience and years of pounding.. sorry no specs on hope spelling etc isn't to bad
As you can see from the wood holding my walls back I have had the same issue of rain working against me. My liner arrived yesterday (took about a month as Im in Hawaii) so today I'm hoping to get the carpet in the hole and underlayment to help hold the walls. I may fill it up to compress all the dirt as my dirt seems pretty soft here.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow that's a big pond! I'm new here so I hope you don't mind my input. I guess you're putting koi in there? Will the filter falls be the entire filtration? Do you know how much food the filter falls will process? I think my pond volume is less than yours and it has three 80 gallon containers full of filter media and two pressure filters and a 40 gallon container with bacteria house media. Of course I'm overstocked!
I was hoping that the plants would be my main filter but yes the one skimmer and the falls will be my only mechanical filtration unless I hear from you all otherwise. The filter falls will work from 6000-8000gph.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sounds like you have a great plan. With regards to the fish population, keep in mind they will eventually reproduce. That's the problem a lot of us have. It is cool when you see babies swimming around, but that just means more fish load!

Ask a Question