Bullfrog Behavior

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all! We had 2 American Bullfrogs in our pond. I believe they were females and they have been with us for over a year. They bred in our pond last year and overwintered with us. It seems that over the past rainy, dreary weekend they decided to move out. We are so sad! We had grown very fond of them and looked forward to feeding them worms in the evening. Have they left for breeding season and will they ever come back? Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Since they left a young bullfrog has taken up residence. He is very shy though! Does not stick around to eat worms!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The wild frogs come & go. I'm rather amazed that yours would stick around to be fed by you! My bullfrogs are always very shy & hide just about every time they see us (or see us notice them) Now the green frogs, on the other hand, tend to be either bold, friendly or just a little dumb. LOL. They hang right around with us (but to tell you the truth, I had never even thought of trying to feed them!)

Reaction score
Country
United States
The wild frogs come & go. I'm rather amazed that yours would stick around to be fed by you! My bullfrogs are always very shy & hide just about every time they see us (or see us notice them) Now the green frogs, on the other hand, tend to be either bold, friendly or just a little dumb. LOL. They hang right around with us (but to tell you the truth, I had never even thought of trying to feed them!)
We cannot believe they would leave such a pampered lifestyle. Dinner served each night! Who would ever want to leave?! We do hope they return. They were great entertainment.

With the big gals in the pond, we did not see many other types of frogs. Perhaps now they are gone we will meet some green frogs.

Ask a Question