Cloudy Koi

Bel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my Koi was flashing then has sunk into deep pond. If it dies until it floats us this a danger to remaining fish?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-5-19_9-39-47.gif
@Bel Sorry to hear this about your fish. I'd get him out into a qt tank and examine him closer and keep a watch to see if others start flashing also. More here can help you w/koi as I only have goldfish but they can be effected by the same parasites.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome, but sorry you joined under these circumstances! I agree that the flashing is most likely sign of an illness — something that is probably already a problem for your other fish. As soon as the fish dies, any parasites on its body are going to depart and look for another host. But it also means that you already have a problem going on. I would make an effort to catch and isolate the fish — if for no other reason than to be able to humanely euthanize it if necessary (instead of waiting for it to die).

Can you tell us more about your pond and set up? How big is it, how many fish, etc, etc? How long has the pond been up and running?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Good advice from the others, but in addition to the details @Mmathis asked for (pond size, fish number, etc.) Could you also test your water with a good liquid/drop test kit (i.e. API freshwater or Pond master test kit) and post your results. The test strips are not accurate at all so we always recommend the liquid/drop based kits. In addition to diseases or parasites, flashing in fish could indicate something is wrong with the water quality (pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, etc.) and water quality issues will often times be a major contributing factor for fish diseases. It can be a vicious cycle until you get everything balanced.

Ask a Question